Animate Box Mask in Sequencer

Hello to everybody. I’m very new to Unreal in general and starting with UE5. In my learning process, I’m testing some stuff with the sequencer (I believe Matinee was UE4’s version and worked pretty similarly) and I built a nice house that now I’d like to animate. What I want is something like this, where you see it being built in a simple way, down to top.

First I tried using a subtractive BSP, since the entire thing was built using BSPs and it seemed the most logical solution. But upon entering into the Sequencer tab, I found out you can’t animate BSPs at all (or at least I don’t know how to do it without turning them into static meshes). It only shows how the changes would look with a wireframe, though I understand it’s because BSPs aren’t thought to stay in the final project.

Then I found a different solution, which I found very promising, using material masks. That’s also what I used in the screenshots above. I basically created a collection of parameters, added this chunk of nodes to every material in the house:

, and created a blueprint with a transparent cube (whose silhouette you should be able to see in the screenshots) to define the area I want to hide. It has this little script:

I got all this from a tutorial and, if I understand it correctly, the cube sets the parameter Location and Scale for the materials to then use the mask accordingly. The problem is, then, the very same as the first one. Even though it works smoothly when I move the box around the level, it doesn’t when it moves through Sequencer’s animation. The box itself moves but the mask isn’t changed at all.
Maybe I could set the location of the area for the mask manually and move it with a script or something like that, though I don’t even know where to start doing such a thing. My next option is to just chop the entire thing in Blender (ironic, I know) and then play with the pieces’ visibility, though that would look way worse.
In any case, thanks a lot for your help and patience.

Does it help if you set “Run Construction Script in Sequencer” in your BP’s class settings?

1 Like