Animal browsing AI

Hey guys,

I’m pretty new to unreal engine and doing this as a hobby so apologies in advance. I’m trying to simulate an animal feeding on different trees in an environment within a certain range. I’ll eventually get it to pick which type of tree based on class in the future but I thought i’d keep it simple for now. I’m also trying to run this through the behavior tree with “cannotseeplayer” as my blackboard based condition.

I’ve had a look at the forums and youtube tutorials and I seem to have confused myself even more. It seems like one option is to need to create a sphere on the animal then have it look for trees within that sphere, then run a go to object.It also seems like I could run something with an array, but that may be a bit complicated and unnecessary.

Any help or links on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cool thanks for the feedback man. After looking at more tutorials but specifically on EQS, I’ve realized that the best method for me to use is EQS. Your idea with the lures/fruits sounds like pretty much exactly what I am trying to replicate. I’ve started watching these tutorials (link below) to get to grips with what EQS is possible, Do you know where I might be able to get some other good material?

Cheers

Sorry for getting back to you so late, my computer crashed and I’ve only now just got everything back onto track. I’ve had a look at the c+ tutorial and it will definitely help with improving the realism within my game. Though I’m more interested in just the straight movement to an object and more interested in using an array to find the object.