Anim Retargeting with Control Rig?

Hi all!

I’m real new to Unreal Engine and to rigging and animation in general as well, but I was learning about all the new features of UE 5.3-5.4 and it seems like the if we could setup similar control rigs between a source and a target, it doesn’t seem far-fetched to retarget animations between skeletons of different hierarchies.

As I understand so far, the UE IK Retargeter as of now relies of skeletons maintaining similar hierarchies. By abstracting the skeletons into control rigs and retargeting the CR control’s animation to the similar CR, might we be able to do decent animation retargeting between skeletons of different hierarchies?

It feels like there might be more challenges to this as we’re relying on runtime computed changes to the skeleton based on the control rig, but I thought it might be interesting to explore. Especially since Full Body IKs are used so often, and the rules of alot of control rigs are quite similar, seems like a lot of the animating of each Control Rig could be quite re-usable.

Thanks for your time :slight_smile:

Yes, that is feasible. It just requires some quaternion addition and subtraction. We use this way to retarget our mocap animation in runtime, you can check our method here,

In our case, the source skeleton is fixed, but it can be easily modified to support any source skeleton.

1 Like