Android game completly black

Howdy envenger,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I just have a couple of questions for you before we being looking into the issue.

• Would you mind sharing your log file and your DXdiag with us?
  • What device are you currently attempting to deploy to and what version is that device on?
  • Do you have a matinee placed anywhere in the level? Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

My android game consists of a a huge bsp surface and some other simple dynamically generated mesh.

The problem is when I open the game in my android device, its completely black, stays on the screen for 2-3 seconds and minimizes again.

I had baked lights and had added a precomputed visibility volume.

The only thing I think might cause the problem is I had forgot to switch off the mobile HDR rendering. The android device on which I was testing is comparatively lower spec so I should have switched it off.

From wiki I had found out that the mobile used ( System on chip Qualcomm MSM8210 Snapdragon 200)
So, I packed my project in ATC format.

There was no matniee sequence.

But the game did have a huge BSP brush. Something around 50000x30000 but game was taking place inside a smaller location.

The BSP was just a square brush with a texture on it. My game was using an edited version of the rolling template.

I was deploying to this device http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Xperia_E1
So it is at android Android 4.3 JellyBean

Here is my DXDiag file link text

I didn’t save my log file sadly.

Thank you for all of the information that you provided. I would highly recommend that you try and not use a BSP brush that large in your level. You may want to use something like level streaming instead. you can find a tutorial on this here: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums.

The device that I tested on was not the E1 but it was the Z1, they are very similar, and I was not even able to open the project on the phone.

Have you tried to use a static mesh instead of a BSP brush for your level?

I am trying that now and making everything in my scene in unlit mode except my character which is a ball.

Should I use ETC1 mode instead of ATC? I don’t use any alpha channels.

I do not believe that will help the issue but you can give it a shot.

Have you though about turning your BSP brush into a static mesh? You can do this:

• Select the BSP brush in the level.

• Under the Brush Settings in the detail panel, click on the drop down and select Create static mesh.

• You will then be asked to select the path. You can select any folder that you wish to save it in.

• You will then see the BSP turn into a static mesh. In the details panel of that static mesh, double click the Static mesh to open the new static mesh window.

• In the Static Mesh Settings of that mesh, change the light map resolution to anything other then 0. (I changed mine to 32)

• While still in the static mesh window, at the top of the window, click the collision drop down and select Box Simplified Collision. This will give your mesh collision.

• In that static mesh window, select the Window drop down,next to the collision drop down, and select Generate Unique UVs.

• when the new tab opens below the details panel, Select the Layout using 0 channel and select apply.

• At the top of the screen, in the toolbar, change the UV channel 0 to UV Channel 1

• Then save and exit that window

• Apply a Material to to that static mesh.

• Once applied, your static mesh should be black.

• Then rebuild lighting by selecting the arrow next to build in the top toolbar.

You should then be able to change the BSP to a static mesh and then apply a material to it. Let me know if this helps.

I did the same… I have not started packaging yet. Which format do you recommend me to package? ATC or ETC1?

I would recommend that you package to ETC1. Most mobile devices are ETC1. If that doesn’t work, Then try the ATC. I am not too sure because we currently do not have that device in house.

I got the log file of the packaging I did today.
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/559706/Console-rar.html

Here is the link to it. I cannot upload files more than 500kb here so I compressed it. Then I realized I cannot copy .rar here…

Tested the same exact problem… The game is completely black. When I open it. It opens for a few seconds like 1-2 then minimizes itself. When I try to open it again, it again open for a few seconds then minimizes itself. I had no problem with installing it.

Some additional information. I tested my game on HTC One X getting the same error. So it it my maps problem or something else?

I am thinking since it is occurring on multiple devices, that the error would be associated with the map itself. Have you met all of the Mobile Guidelines for your project? They can be found here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/Mobile/index.html.

Yes I have followed them.

I poly problem I have is I have a huge staticmesh something around 40,000 x 30,000 x 10 in the level could it be causing the problem? Should I check tappy chicken or a basic map on the device first?

I would highly recommend that you just load up a basic first person template and see what the outcome of your project is.

Same problem. A completely black screen that minimizes itself.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/560516/New-Text-Document-rar.html

So it is either some problem with the packaging or the mobile. I will test the first person shooter in a few other mobiles to see what is the problem. I have linked the log here. There are some warnings and errors in the doc. Could you take a look?

Howdy envenger,

I have just ran a test on the HTC One X. I just deployed the basic first person template to the mobile device and saw immediate issues. I have also found page, and I am unsure if you have had the chance to see it as well: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums

I also checked out bug database and found an issue for deployment to mobile devices using a DXT build. This is the ideal build for the HTC One X. This issue is still open at the current moment and is begin worked on. As far as a time table on completion. I am unsure as to when or, possibly, what release this issue will be resolved in. Most of the issues are being caused by older phones but we are working to resolve that issue and optimize mobile performance. I will be sure to keep you updated as soon as I hear anything pertaining to this issue.

Thanks and have a great day!

So UE4 games just tun on a few Galaxy S4 series phones and above? No other phones except the list present here A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums is able to run UE4?

Also what changes did tappy bird have making it possible to run in other devices?

The Android Device Compatibility list is devices that have been previously tested and marked pending on how they performed when deployed to. Though a device may not be on that list, it could still have the capabilities to be able to run a project. If a device is not listed, it means that the device is untested.

As for Tappy Chicken, no changes have been made to that project. It has just been built on a better version of the engine so an update may be required.