Android dev must use UE5.4.4 and i want to quit

I have been working for a while to get things in my project looking good after updating to UE 5.4.4. I have to be on 5.4.4 because there are Android dependencies. Basically, my project is useless in the Android Dev Portal without it.

I’m officially at my wits end. Everything looks beautiful in the editor but when I package, it looks like every single material (save some few) have an unknown issue causing them to render crappy, almost like there is a shadow. I can assure you, it isn’t a shadow. Maybe a shadowing setting somewhere I haven’t thought of, but not a shadow in the literal way. At first, I thought this was Quixel assets only. But it isn’t. Here is what I have done so far:

1. fiddled endlessly with directional light. This has nothing to do with lighting i can confirm. Tried builds with spot lights and point lights. it has no effect.
  2. Rebuilt materials from scratch
  3. Resized textures
  4. Found a thread that talked about Oodle being an issue. disabled it
  5. disable a slew of other plugins
  6. changed LOD Bias
  7. For the hell of it, imported MSPresets from another project to see if this would help with Quixel assets
  8. enable/disable texture streaming
  9. turned off nanite
  10. played with mobile shader permutation settings
  11. tried deferred and forward shading
  12. Lumen off (none for global illumination)

List goes on to some of the most minute, unlikely to help changes imaginable. I am hoping someone here has had a similar experience and can help me figure this out.

Here is some in-editor vs packaged images for reference:

1 Like