Android Crash on Launch except from editor

Hey,

Since upgrading to UE4.16, I can’t run the game on my android device unless I launch it on the mobile directly from the editor.

The game launches fine if done straight from the editor (Using the launch on device button), and the game also packages OK without any errors.

However, if I try and launch the game again from the phone after closing the game, or I try and push a build across from a full package, the game crashes on launch.

There are no errors or warnings on the log from the phone or the editor, it just closes the app. I’ve updated android works and done everything else to make sure the game is up to date.

I’ve attached a log of the issue. (You can ignore the GearVR warning. If I enable GearVR it removes the warning, but the crash still happens)

QBLog.txt (45.1 KB)

Thanks

Updated with a better log.

QBLog2.txt (45.4 KB)

It would help to see an unfiltered log (or with tag UE4 and DEBUG) to see the actual crash callstack. It would be best to continue this in AnswerHub.

Hey Chris,

I have a thread going here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/605852/android-crash-on-launch-except-from-editor.html

I did what you said and I’ve attached the unfiltered log there, however upon removing the UE4 filter, I found this but I can’t understand how to fix it.

Cheers,
Chris

05-31 19:53:16.480 3741-3741/com.CoffeeCupGames.QuantumBuilder D/ViewRootImpl@f5c9e9e[GameActivity]: MSG_RESIZED_REPORT: ci=Rect(0, 0 - 0, 0) vi=Rect(0, 0 - 0, 0) or=2
05-31 19:53:16.484 3741-3741/com.CoffeeCupGames.QuantumBuilder D/AndroidRuntime: Shutting down VM

--------- beginning of crash
05-31 19:53:16.497 3741-3741/com.CoffeeCupGames.QuantumBuilder E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
                                                                                 Process: com.CoffeeCupGames.QuantumBuilder, PID: 3741
                                                                                 java.lang.RuntimeException: Canvas: trying to draw too large(132710400bytes) bitmap.
                                                                                     at android.view.DisplayListCanvas.throwIfCannotDraw(DisplayListCanvas.java:260)
                                                                                     at android.graphics.Canvas.drawBitmap(Canvas.java:1420)
                                                                                     at android.graphics.drawable.BitmapDrawable.draw(BitmapDrawable.java:545)
                                                                                     at android.view.View.getDrawableRenderNode(View.java:18585)
                                                                                     at android.view.View.drawBackground(View.java:18521)
                                                                                     at android.view.View.draw(View.java:18309)
                                                                                     at com.android.internal.policy.DecorView.draw(DecorView.java:919)
                                                                                     at android.view.View.updateDisplayListIfDirty(View.java:17296)
                                                                                     at android.view.ThreadedRenderer.updateViewTreeDisplayList(ThreadedRenderer.java:692)
                                                                                     at android.view.ThreadedRenderer.updateRootDisplayList(ThreadedRenderer.java:698)
                                                                                     at android.view.ThreadedRenderer.draw(ThreadedRenderer.java:806)
                                                                                     at android.view.ViewRootImpl.draw(ViewRootImpl.java:3128)
                                                                                     at android.view.ViewRootImpl.performDraw(ViewRootImpl.java:2924)
                                                                                     at android.view.ViewRootImpl.performTraversals(ViewRootImpl.java:2516)
                                                                                     at android.view.ViewRootImpl.doTraversal(ViewRootImpl.java:1515)
                                                                                     at android.view.ViewRootImpl$TraversalRunnable.run(ViewRootImpl.java:7091)
                                                                                     at android.view.Choreographer$CallbackRecord.run(Choreographer.java:927)
                                                                                     at android.view.Choreographer.doCallbacks(Choreographer.java:702)
                                                                                     at android.view.Choreographer.doFrame(Choreographer.java:638)
                                                                                     at android.view.Choreographer$FrameDisplayEventReceiver.run(Choreographer.java:913)
                                                                                     at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:751)
                                                                                     at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
                                                                                     at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:154)
                                                                                     at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6682)
                                                                                     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
                                                                                     at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1520)
                                                                                     at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1410)

For future reference, the issue was that my splash screen image was too big (Canvas: trying to draw too large(132710400bytes) bitmap.)