Android 512KB ETC1 texture cook size increase to 21MB

Hi.

Im developing an Android game. When i cook the game all textures will be 21MB with any size and resolution.
For example i have a 512KB texture with a 21MB cook size.

the size apk is very important for me but now 10 textures will be 210MB.

whats the problem?

Where are you seeing the 512KB and 21MB sizes? ETC1 doesn’t support compressed alpha textures, so those are saved as RGBA8. A 2048x2048 texture that has alpha and mipmaps would be about 21MB. With Alpha, the DXT5 version would be about 5MB, not 512KB.

With ETC1, you definitely want to reduce your alpha textures! Alternatively, you could split it into two textures which could then be compressed.

Josh

the 512KB is the asset file in the Content folder and the 21MB file is cooked file in Saved/Cooked Folder.
how can i have the smalest texture size with 512x512 res?
i cant use Default texture compress method, i have to use TC Vector Displacement, because its the only way that my Galaxy S3 can render the texture.

Thanx

VectorDisplacement will always be uncompressed. When you use Default and it’s compressed to ETC1, what happens on device?

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the texture?

when i use Default a fully white texture will shown on the device and my texture wont load.
res is 2048x2048.
i test again and when i downsize it to 512x512 and remove mipmaps th cook size will be 1MB.

Okay, yeah, with 2k texture, that size is expected.

I can’t imagine why that one texture with Default compression wouldn’t work… how is it different than other textures?

It isn’t different than others, all are the same.
If i use default in S3(mali gpu) it will be white but in Xperia V (adreno) it works.