AMD FX-8350 or Intel i5 4690k for UE4

Hello! I’m trying to make a comparison between the FX-8530 and the i5 4690k. The FX is more overclockable and I think it will perform better than i5 (even if I will need liquid nitrogen LOL), it costs $75 less than the i5. Intel i5 has more performance/core but only 4 threads (FX has 8 threads), anyway intels have a longer life.
Which is the best in your opinion for UE4? Thank you :slight_smile:

Looks like the FX-8530 is faster in that comparison, though I don’t usually go for AMD

The 8350 is far more suited to a comparison with an i7 not an i5. It will eat a 4690, but only if the 8350 has proper liquid cooling and is overclocked right. On air, they perform generally the same.

I think the i5 is better. According to CPUBoss, it’s better than the AMD by 0.1 points. does’t matter, but I think it’s better to go with an Intel that is well-made and more stable. In fact, the money that I will save by going with an AMD, won’t be enough to buy a stronger PSU and a colder cooler (since AMD is hotter and take more watts). If I spent €60 more, I will buy an i7 4790k, :-/

I think the i5 is better. According to CPUBoss, it’s better than the AMD by 0.1 points. does’t matter, but I think it’s better to go with an Intel that is well-made and more stable. In fact, the money that I will save by going with an AMD, won’t be enough to buy a stronger PSU and a colder cooler (since AMD is hotter and take more watts). If I spent €60 more, I will buy an i7 4790k, :-/

Considering the amd will run more applications than the i5, i’d say once you hit a certain amount of processing, the amd will be better even on air.

You should do yourself a favor and look at when these chips were made, the amd is from late 2012 and the i5 is from mid 2014. That is a huge difference. I would recommend looking at the FX-9370 instead of the FX-8350. Since the FX-9370 is still cheaper than the i5, but is better than all i5’s and some i7’s

But even then you’re still comparing cards that are a year apart. To be honest since is now 2015, both vendors are quoted to release new cpu products soon, I’d honestly just wait and see what they might be, not only will these chips you’re talking bout drop ion price, you will have new parts to compare.

Do I really need multi-threading? I would like to use UE4, Visual Studio and Blender together (3 apps in total). Can I go with an i5 that may worth the money?

The programs used to test CPu’s are a bit skewed in AMD’s favor. They tend to measure performance using all available cores, instead of measuring per core performance (which is what will make a bigger difference in most programs). So when you look at the overall CPU score keep that in mind, if both CPU’s had the same number of cores, the i5’s would have a much larger score.

In reality you do not need anything more than 4 cores right now. More cores will be a benefit down the line. It is worth noting I’ve been saying that for 5-6 years and it still hasn’t happened… :stuck_out_tongue:

For what you want to do with it (use UE4 / Blender / Visual Studio / Photoshop etc) the only benefit would be while building lighting, as it will use as many cores as you have. For everything else, 4 cores will work just fine. I have an i5 4670k (3.4ghz which overclocks to 4.2ghz no problem without anything but stock cooling, max temp of 60deg idle 20-30deg) runs everything I throw at it with relative ease.

What do you think about previous versions of i5 such as i5 4440, 4460, 4690…? Are the good for 3D modeling, level designing and programming? Thank you :slight_smile:

They will all work just fine for that, the only difference is the speed at which you will be able to run the programs. The difference in most programs will be barely noticeable, but UE4 is one program where you will notice the difference. It might only be 1 or 2 fps in a simple scene if you choose a newer one, with the 4440 likely dipping 5-10fps. is only a guess though, so don’t quote me on that! The loading time for programs may also be higher the older you go.

Also note that the only difference between 4670 and 4670k is that the k version is unlocked, meaning you can overclock to a higher level than the reference.

Thanks. :slight_smile: