AMD Crimson Drivers crashing on Win10 in Editor and Game

Just got my new 380x nitro, haven’t had a single problem in pretty much anything else, but with Unreal Engine 4 stuff, after some work or play with UT, the gpu driver crashes to a black screen and i have to reboot. Here’s the specs:

AMD APU 7600
8 GB of ram
Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H
sapphire R9 380x nitro
UE4 on SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Hi ,

Please provide your full dxdiag info. Have you attempted reverting to the 15.11.1 drivers? Did you just upgrade to Win10?

Are you getting the Windows message that says the display driver has crashed or is the screen just going black and then nothing?

Yes, i’ve tested it with 15.11 and they crashed too. I did a clean install of win10 on my new SSD. The crash is simple, looping sound, stuck frame and then black screen and complete hardware hang (can’t even turn on and off the numpad for example). Tried to take a look around for bsod logs but i coudn’t find anything with my tipical bsod viewer. I’ve also tried disabling varius AMD Crimson features and tried varius shader level, but UE4 and UT still crashes on me. Don’t have a clue, since pretty much anything else runs just fine, even UE3 stuff.

Here’s my dxdiag
link text

I’ve adjusted the title accordingly as we don’t know yet if this is actually a driver crash. Can you check out our page on the windows event viewer and send in the Event Logs?

I have a suspicion it could have something to do with sound output though. Are you sending the sound through the built in sound card on the motherboard or over HDMI?

I think we got it, haven’t found anything related to UE but it seems that this error is related to the crash:

Metadata staging failed, result=0x80070490 for container ‘{2EA52AC6-41F3-5A18-83B6-D925F3D3B124}’

but the most important thing is that, by disabling my main audio device (a realtek ALC888B with driver ver 6.0.1.7647) the engine doesn’t crash anymore, so it’s 99% as you said a driver issue. How i’m supposed to fix this? by disabling 3d audio acceleration and stuff?

EDIT: So i tried to revert back to my old windows 8.1 audio driver that worked fine before i upgraded my PC, and well, no happy results, the thing is still crashing, so it must be a windows 10 related thing.

Even more EDIT: So i tried again to run the editor without any audio drivers installed and… the system crashed again, so it seems it may not be the audio chip anymore, pretty sure is a win10 thing now…

Sorry, confused with the edits a bit. When you said you disabled your main audio device, it worked?

Is this the driver you’re installing? http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

i first installed the lastest version from the site, then i downgraded to a version i’ve had back when i had windows 8.1. They both kept crashing, so i decided to run a test without any audio device activated, and the engine crashed again, meaning the problem may not be the audio driver… it’s hard to find the source without any proper log <.<

I was looking up the error you sent. That might be a pretty generic windows startup error and not the crash error. Could you save all events from around the time of the crash(see the end of the wiki page I linked) and attach that to a comment here?

I can’t find a proper event to show you, only 1 error and 1 critical saying that the system was shutdown improperly around the time of the crash, but then nothing else. It seems to be a serious hardware failure, since not even the OS can log something usefull out of this, even tried with some changed bios settings but without results.

I don’t want to encourage you to continue putting your computer through continual hard crashes like this, but if you decide to run the editor again, could you try running a heat monitor at the same time(I’d recommend Open Hardware Monitor)?

One other thing to try is to install 15.7.1 (Catalyst, pre-Crimson) drivers and see if it helps.

I wish there was an easy solution here.

So I just did some testing for a similar issue where somebody is getting a display driver crash with Crimson drivers and Win10. His was recovering, but it looks like yours aren’t.

Luckily enough, in my testing I got both cases. It recovered most of the time for me, but a few times it went to the black screen forcing a restart. Test was performed with an R9 380.

I’ve entered a bug report in our system(UE-24826) for one of our engineers to contact AMD as this is only fixable on their end. If you’d like, you can report the bug to AMD as well. The more people reporting it, the more attention it will get on their end. Feel free to link them here if needed.

For the time being, please try reverting to the 15.7 drivers.

Sadly the only version of drivers i can use before crimson are the 15.11.1 that still crashes on my side, due to the 380x being released in november and i don’t think 380 drivers would be very stable for the rest of the software, since i’m only having this problem with UE4 stuff. I’ll send a bug report and will wait for a future update both driver side and engine side and hopefully properly fix this problem. Thank you for the support in the meantime.

i have the same problem on my setup:

MSI H170 GAMING M3
INTEL i5 6600 Skylake
GPU Sapphire AMD R9 380 4GB
DDR4 Kingston hyperX Fury 8GB 2133Mhz
PSU EVGA Supernova GS 550W GOLD
SSD Corsair LS FORCE 120GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

the game is installed on SSD, i tried to reinstall all the old drivers but still don’t work, maybe the problem is aobut AMD Drivers, i also installed Win 8.1 but nothing change. I hope they will fix this bug, i reported this issue on their website.

OK, i solved UT Games crashes!
I hope that could work also for you!
After many test i found the cause, this work for me i don’t know for you, just try :
In Unreal Tournament go to the Video Settings and put all details to LOW and leave the FXAA activated! :wink:
Happy New Year!

before that found this method UT crashed after 10 minute in game, now that not happens, i tried to play for 1 hour without no crash :wink:

Hey ,

We have tested this internally and it looks like updating to version 16.3.1 (Driver Packaging Version 16.15.2111-160314a-300497E) fixes the issue for us. Could you give that a try and let us know if it’s fixed for you as well?

Cheers,

TJ

After some testing on both my old machine and my new one with an i7 6700k and an asus z170-a, it seems that the problem has been completetly fixed, at least for now. If it happens again i will let you guys know. Thank you for the support.

It happenend again today, while i was playing Unreal Tournament…

I7 6700k
32 gb of ram
380x

I’m thinking this chipset has some serious problems behind it…