AMD 6000(inc upcoming 7000) UE5 stability?

Hello, i have question to people who in reality have used UE5 on AMD newest cards and how is the stability in editor and are all UE5 features supported with AMD cards. I have NVidia 2060 Super and it had been very stable(excluding ue5 own bugs or just 8GB memory filling up). I probably plan to get RX 7700 series when it comes out, but i try to find out real experiences, driver stability etc. I had last AMD card 4 years ago(used different AMD cards some 9 years) but 3D stability with my last RX 470(inc older series that i had) was not great with games compared to my current one.

Please no classic nvidia vs amd rants, I would like to know only real experiences who used UE5 editor long work hours with those latest (6000 series especially) AMD cards. Has RDNA become way better in stability area. That i know that GPU is not only factor for system stability, but Motherboard must have hi-quality components inc vrm-s and PSU has to be with very fine power delivery components and even Windows installation must be done right way in some sense.

the cool GPU makes you do things faster but based on my experience my decisions always take longer than the gpu even though the gpu sucks a 6600 is just fine for unreal engine 250$ max you can have the best motorcycle in the world but you will never be Valentino Rossi but if you Valentino Rossi under caffeine there is no technology for you come back in 10 years in the end things get slowly like a chess game

buy cip 250$ wen you lern buy a RTX 5090TI

I’ve yet to see a thread associated with AMD GPU instability of any kind. There is a 3rd party overlay (can’t recall the name) that does not agree with the engine’s UI.

Nvidia drivers however have been causing UI issues for a lot of users - there are too many threads about it for it to be a coincidence. It’s been going on for 2+ years and is still a case. It seems to affect just a fraction of the user base but it seems systematic.

1 Like

Thanks @Everynone, first piece of useful info for my info collection.

I do not know if it is just me, but i had two computer resets with ue5.0.3 and 5.1.0 and never before with ue4. I have rx 6900 xt graphic card and ryzen 5800x processor. Didn’t find the reason for resets, not even in event viewer. I’m also using 22Q4 (before 22Q3) graphic driver and not adrenalin.

Motherboard and psu? have you tested some different GPU too that has same level of power draw?

Even i hear noises from GPU sometimes when UE5 under heavy strain, but not a single reset with any 3D stuff, from games to Unreal itself. Most of my crashes with unreal is when GPU memory fills up and thats why i plan to get bigger memory mid range Nv or RX GPU next year if i find normal price… i do not care which, Nvidia or AMD, UE5 stability is only thing that matters(of course GPU manufacturers are different too and produce different quality components in certain areas).

Motherboard is Gigabyte x570 gaming x and psu is Gigabyte 1000W (cannot remember whole name, but has gold certificate), also has 64GB of RAM (3200MHz). It was interesting because no bluescreen, just reset. Now i’m thinking about reinstalling whole system again. Maybe is a conflict between some programs or drivers or another software related thing.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t test any different GPU, don’t have option for this.

2 Likes

i have work whit unreal engine 4 on a MSI Armor rx570 8gb oc adm ryzen 7 1700x and 64Gb ram i haven’t encountered any problems, maybe you can’t use 8k textures and super complex meshes or experiment with particles but for everything else is fine you can make a smartphone MMO with such PC

you jast limited to te texture scale 1080p so you don’t die of boredom for loading time while you work

if you do the whole project without graphics you just need a laptop with 64gb ram and a decent cpu 1000$ todey market laptop is in off

but once the game is done you can always get a serious PC to mount 4k 8k texutre and particels graphics lighjt and shadows at the end of the project

Anyone tested Unreal 5 editor on Intel Arc 770 GPU too yet? if so please share feature level support and stability info. Thanks.

First genration GPU whit missing driver suport no ty

1 Like

Seems that my choice will be 4070 as AMD 7000 tech still is so much behind with RT power. For those who do not care about RT power then it is another story as AMD is good on raster area.

Edit: Price is pumped up to insane levels, must hold on until price dissolves. AMD should launch ray trace boost upgraded RX 7800 at lower cost.

1 Like