Ambient Audio [Basic Tutorial]

This is a very basic tutorial, looking at dragging in some audio and setting it up to fade in/out depending on our position.

Hope it helps!

Tesla.

Thanks for taking the time to post this :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting.
I didn’t know it was that simple!

Nice man. Yeah, I’ve experimented with some nice ambient sounds for an afghanistan type of world. But there’s something I can’t find out, on how to do…

Let’s say I have a larger ambient sphere/box with a common outside stereo ambient sound, but there’s a cabin where I’ve placed an inside room sound. I still want to hear the outside sound on top of it, but not at the same volume when beeing inside the cabin room. So, when ambient boundaries interfere with each other, how do I tackle multiple ambient sources that are in the same area? Just now, everything plays on top of each other.

Another qestion…
Let’s say I have this inside room ambient sound again. I go inside the room and go outside again. Then when I go inside again, how do I make it so the inside room ambient sound doesnt start all over again, but just continue where it was…? Cause it sounds a little weird, when Ive been outside for 1 second, then go inside again and you clearly can hear the the sound has started over again???

Also what if a big “global” atmosphere ambient sound is set, covering the whole level. Shouldnt there be a way to make it stop when you enter an area with a new ambient sound?? Guess it’s connected with the questions above. :slight_smile:

Thx in advance. Hope to get replies, cause this should really work.

This audio occlusion or isolation can be done in multiple ways. One way is to use the Ambient Zone Settings on a Reverb Volume. See steps below.

1: Drag in a Reverb Volume: Shape it to fit the room or area you want to isolate (cabin)

2: Expand its Ambient Zone Settings: Exterior settings will affect the sounds that are placed outside the volume, and interior settings will affect the sounds that are placed inside volume. (For example, If you are inside the volume, exterior settings will kick in.)
7503fa79f7460a83c72c4b9a5257ae6aa9781485.jpeg

3: Create a Sound Class: Set its Ambient Zone Settings to True

4: Add the Sound Class to the Soundcue: These sounds will now be affected by the Ambient Zone Settings

So for your cabin, you can have a sound class called ‘Ambient Outside’ and another called ‘Ambient Inside.’ Assign the sounds that are located outside the cabin (reverb volume) to ‘Ambient’ Outside’ and the sounds located inside the cabin to ‘Ambient Inside.’ If you then change the exterior volume to .2 and walk inside the cabin, all outside sounds will duck in volume. Once you leave the cabin, the sounds will return to their default volumes. To change how quickly this happens, play with the Exterior Time settings.

Exterior settings can be heard when inside the volume
-Exterior Volume (The volume of the sound actors placed outside this volume)
-Exterior Time (The time it will take for the Exterior Volume to kick in)
-Exterior LPF (How much of the low pass filter should be applied to the Sound Actors outside this volume)
-Exterior LPFTime (How quickly should the LPF be applied)
Interior settings can be heard when outside the volume
-Interior Volume (The volume of the sound actors placed inside this volume when
-Interior Time (The time it will take for the Interior Volume to kick in)
-Interior LPF (How much of the low pass filter should be applied to the Sound Actors inside the volume
-Interior LPFTime (How quickly should the LPF be applied)
*This can also be achieved through Blueprints using the new Sound Mix system, audio tutorials and blogs are coming soon.

Thx man! But how do I rotate the reverb volume box?

No problem! :slight_smile:

For rotation: press E while selecting the volume or hit spacebar to cycle to it. For Geometry Editor mode: hold down Shift and press 5.

Geometry Editing mode will allow you to further customize the shape.

Hope this helps,