Amazon Fire TV

Is anyone else doing development specifically for Fire TV? I think its a great way to bring out games to the living room. I’ve only had it a few hours but I love it so far.

Is Unreal Engine going to support Amazon Fire TV (I know it’s Android but I also know Android building doesn’t work on all Android platforms)?

It should run, though I’d imagine you would have to do something extra since there’s some changes to Android on it.

So I’m waiting for a male to male USB cable but in the meantime I decided to try out an Xbox 360 controller on the Fire TV.

IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!

…even the back and start buttons work… makes me want to send back that ugly looking Fire TV game controller.

Wait the wired Xbox Controller works out of the box on the Amazon Fire? HOT DIGGIDY DANG.

yep so did my arc keyboard. the Logitech mouse gave me a little orange circle on the screen but I couldn’t click on anything. Wacom Intuos did nothing.

I actually have both the Xbox controller and Fire TV game controller working at the same time in the home screen but obviously caused problems during the games.

Update:

I just got the Temple Mobile Rendering up and running on the Fire TV. This is going to be pretty exciting.
Fire TV ADB connection via wifi

Just wrote a blog on GamaSutra.com on how to do this, if anyone else is looking into it!

perfect! that is pretty much my exact process. Has anyone messed with the buttons yet? I Couldn’t get them to work though any of the Editor settings and only got halfway with the source code. The thumbsticks work but nothing else.

Thanks for writing that up! I just noticed Mark Rein tweeting about your blog post. :slight_smile:

Yeah I saw that! Just trying to help others out that may want to do the same :slight_smile:

Nice news :slight_smile: Thanks, man!

Anyone know how to enable ES 3.0 features?

I created a new device, setting the Platform to Android ETC2. Rebuilding the project seemed to reduce the OBB file by about 20 MB. Not certain though because I didn’t configure the manifest.

I modified the manifest to minimum API level of 17, and OpenGL ES 3:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="17"/>
<uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x00030000" android:required="true" />

Btw, does this demo use deferred or forward rendering?

The Temple Mobile Rendering is supposed to be targeted for mobile devices, hence its name. In my opinion though the performance was off for some reason. The quality of the rendering was decent, but the FPS was very poor. . .especially given that the scene size appears to be limited.

Hey , we are only using forward rendering on mobile devices; we’d love to switch to deferred, but that might be when the bandwidth & processing power get there :wink:
We are running ES 2 with a lot of extension support, so as more devices start supporting ES 3, we might switch to it, but extensions give us good coverage surface area of a lot of devices.

Hello RCaloca.

Would you be able to point me to specific areas that would need upgrading?

Does ES 2.0 use float?

We’ve been developing a game using Unity 4.3.4, which was supposed to be simple enough to test the engine, become familiar with the development environment, and fun to play. However, we’ve stumbled onto issue after issue, requiring us to change our structure, work around a limitation, with almost no support. One main feature that we needed was so unreliable it required to redesign the game and omit that piece entirely.

Now the question is. . .can UE4 do better? With C++ source code we can solve a lot of problems on our own, and it’s more natural for us when compared to C#.

, it’d probably be easier to create an answerhub question with all the issues you have so more devs can chime in. Please post the link here once you do!

Thank you for the suggestion RCaloca. Here’s the link: Is it possible to use SM4 shaders on Android? - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums