Amazing idea but no skill :(

I can see the point but still.

Why doesn’t someone here with some lit skill write a what a MMO is topic, how much work it requires and how many different positions are required as compared to a MP or SP game. Give examples and charts.

Then sticky it and when the question is asked or ideas are presented send them to that thread so they can learn something.

We could write hundreds of sticky threads for suggested UE4 PC builds, skill required, or whatever else is asked about on a daily basis, but it would just become too much clutter.

I think there is a need of a “reality check” sticky, that everyone should read. To understand how the real world works.

Rofl, hilarious!

This forum is for new users wanting to be a devs or for current devs. If you are new, you will get to know the engine and you’ll see what you are capable of. If you already a dev, you also know what you are capable of. So there is no need for stickies and there is no space for people who want others to do the job for them while they sit in their nice chair waiting for money to come out of other people’s labor.

The counter argument to that is if they are really that motivated and dedicated, they would spend the time building the skills needed for it. It will take at least 5-10 years to build an MMO so what’s an extra 2 years to develop your skills?

More often than not, it’s simply a case of someone having a sudden flash of inspiration like “wouldn’t it be cool if there was an MMO like The Witcher but…” and they come racing onto the forums to pitch the idea. Unfortunately they only have a very high level concept, or even just a few images in their head, and when they finally realise the sheer scale of the mountain they must climb to get there, they give up and go back to playing The Witcher. Sometimes they’ll blame it on those who pointed the mountain out to them, claiming they’re negative and discourage newcomers.

Not saying OP is like this specifically, but this happens all the time.

“If you want something done properly, do it yourself”

It is fairly easy to break it down into pieces and go from there.

Let’s say we have some kind of a tiny medieval “mmo”, not open world.

Rough estimate:
Let’s say 6 large areas. Hub (castle or city) and few large outside zones.
Let’s say 20 base enemy types with 4 retextures each and 5 boss characters (one per area).
Let’s say 8 or so NPC types.
Now, we have to worry about player customization system and weapons.
Let’s say we have 3 classes, with weapons/equipment locked to class, 5 equipment tiers, 1 item per tier, one weapon slot and two equipment slot.

Work per enemy type:
Base model.
4 texture variations, may result in 4 different highpoly sculpts per variation, depending on workflow.
Animation set:
Ground movement animation set. At the minimum it is 4 clips: idle, walk forward and turn sideways, at the maximum you’re looking at:
Idle
4x or 8x strafe directional walk animations.
4x or 8x directional run animations. (17 animation max).
Also: Death animation, magic animation, few attack animation, (optional) victory animation, react to hit animation.

Couple of sound effects: idle sounds, attack sound, pain sound, casting sound.

Per area:
Area map, textures and materials (can easily take couple of months).
Environmental ambient sounds.
3 soundtracks per area. (Ambient music, battle music, boss music)

Work per npc:
Same as per enemy, except that there’s no need for death/pain/attack/animation, locomotion is enough.

Work per weapon or item:
in-game model, texture, description.

Work per player class:
N body variations, head variations, hair variations (model + texture each), one animation per unique ability with sfx.

ALSO, because MMO happens on the server, you’re gonna have to write the server. That may require team of 4 or 6 skilled software engineers that know their stuff in networking and security, even if you manage to use UE as dedicated server.

And that’s without touching game mechanics.

Basically, you’re looking at insane amount of art work for a single person, and the real deal-breaker is server related stuff.

I wouldn’t try to tackle something like that without couple dozens of people.

Trying to make tiny one-area singleplayer tiny action game would be much more realistic.

For example, here’s the team that made Bastion and Transistor games:

Eleven people.

On other hand, there’s spiderwebgames ( About Spiderweb Software ) which made avernum and such. Apparently those guys only have two official employees and hire artists for art when they need that.

Every relatively new gamedev community have this kind of topic;
I bet nowadays, now that forum is old, Unity forums proly have these topics deleted because nobody answer. They bully the OP instead. Ppl here are still nice to give advice because this community is a new environment, yet the same patterns applies.
I say let them dream and invest time on impossible projects (as long as they are not requesting labour for free using that nasty ‘ROYALTY’ word), because that way they’ll have the chance of build up experience on top of their own mistakes.
If you explain why the dream project won’t happen, ppl give up on learning and that is certainly not what you want when you try to help by given too much advice upfront…

I actually don’t like that this topic turned out too negative. Reality check is a good thing, unless there’s too many “reality checks”.

It would be better to keep friendly atmosphere.

I do agree. If a young mind is seeking knowledge let’s try to give them knowledge instead of giving them stones and let’s give it to them in abundance but let’s do it in an organize way also.

A young man who seeks knowledge, will fight for it. I knew nothing of coding when I started too, neither went in computer science university but here I am doing some work.
It’s one thing asking for help and another thing asking what this guy does… If you really wanna do this, you go on google and start typing, you don’t come here asking this…

While this is true, there’s no point in making things harder by forcing “young mind” fight you and 50 other people.

Overly strict and agressive atmosphere has already ruined couple of programming resources I used to frequent. The nice thing about this particular forum is that it is friendly. You should protect that spirit, because nowadays it is a very rare thing on the internet. And if you don’t like the question, you can always walk by without answering it.

Well, to OP, If you were dealing with 3D games on PC I’d be able to help you, but since you’re dealing with mobile games, I’m going to assume you’re not working with 3D, so I can’t help you there.

If you are, I’d gladly help out with blueprints and animations and things like that. Just don’t expect me to model super-high quality things; I’m still learning.

You can do it, eventually. I don’t think the first stuff you do should be aimed so high. In creative projects, your first idea will probably never stick and will have to fail 100 times before something good happens or something clicks. The more I fiddle with the engine, the more I realize how hard this business is. Fortunately, this motivates me more and motivation is key as many here have pointed out.

I would like to share with you how I felt and feel throughout my learning adventure. I began to look at the engine two months ago, trying prototypes, copying tutorials, and learning as it goes. I have learned tons, but every time I look at something I say to myself “heaven’s above this is impossible!!!11one”. The thing is, I want to be a creative director. I too have tons of ideas. I am a literature graduate , can write, and have absolutely no desire to go back to teaching English to bored souls. So I try to change this. The reality is, even if I will focus on narrative mostly, I need to be 100% aware of how things work, and that requires time and patience.

Aim small. Make simple 2D platformers, endless runners, topdown shooters, all of which have their own tutorials throughout the community. As you make these you will become familiar with more and more mechanics every day and will begin to have ideas on how things work. Then start taking notes, what features your game should have (but don’t aim for an MMO just yet…forget that), take notes of which tutorials and which things you learned will grant you a functional feature, mix and match, try and fail, ask around.

It’s hard, but not impossible. Having a visual guide like blueprints is a blessing. Imagine having to do all of that through c++. As long as you get the idea of these algorithms and learn the syntax of these blueprints, you will be amazed how far you can go.
As it is with everything, the start is slow and painful.

…I feel like a rambled. So I’ll dive in to UE4 and see what else I can learn.

No worries, if this is what you want, work up towards this.

You have to start and release game #1 then game #2 then #3. Make each game a small bit of what you want this MMO to achieve.

Make sure you release the game, this is important, so that you can get feedback.

As you learn Unreal Engine 4, your skill set will improve.

This is why Tim Sweeney made Unreal Engine 4 free. To allow anyone to make the game of their dreams.

It will take a while, but just build a little bit at a time.

Get started now. If you don’t have Epic Game Launcher installed, this is your first step.

Then play with some of the Blueprint samples and watching tutorials.

You’ll get there in the end. I want to be playing a Pre-Alpha version of your MMO in less than X years :slight_smile:

You decide what X will be and I’ll be there to play it :wink:

can we replay for training ?

good luck .
a long way waiting you my brother .
but you will get skills and learn that things will need hard work not just the ideas
but i think MMO for android / IOS isn’t good idea .
start first with small things .
your first good looking landscape , your material and then start harder things tell you get what you want