Am I understanding this job correctly?

Hello, I’m a job seeker looking to start a new career as an Unreal World Level Environments Artist after working in the animation industry for a few years as a lighting compositing artist. I’m in my 30s and looking to start from scratch again.

There was a company I really wanted to go to, but I messed up the interview because I didn’t have a good understanding of the job, so I’m going to use that as an opportunity to rebuild my portfolio.

But environment artists also have to do more than I thought, and first of all, I didn’t know that environment design should also deal with development… So I found out how ignorant I was during the interview, and I’m really sorry about that.

I hope someone can answer a few questions for me

:arrow_forward: Q1.

I found that the job of an environment (background) designer is to create a world that fits the concept by modeling, texturing, placing the models in the background according to the concept, and lighting, but what other development work does an environment artist do for a level, and what should I learn?

:arrow_forward: Q2.

I also found a job title called World Builder. Is it the same job as Level Environment Designer? It seems like they both have the same parts about working on levels, setting up environments, and working on scenes.

:arrow_forward: Q3.

I’m really confused about which is the art side and which is the development side, because there are many places where the job postings only specify the part about level design and environment design, and the part about development is not specified, but if you are looking for a level designer, you are looking for a developer… Environment Artist (Art) / Designer (Development) Is it okay to think of it like this?

:arrow_forward: Q4.

I watched your video on level design, am I right in thinking that level design is more of a development person than an art person? Am I correct in thinking that level design is about prototyping a map, evaluating if it’s balanced, fun, and if it’s good, handing it off to an Art position (like Environment Artist)?

To everyone who responded, thank you so much. I discovered this profession in Korea, and I’m looking forward to becoming a better and better artist. God bless you all.
Please forgive my poor English!