Am I ready yet?

Hello everyone,

Some months ago I started learning C++.
Unfortunately I haven’t got many time to learn, so I’m stuck at the current chapter for a while.
I want to be a game developer in the future, so I have two questions:

1. Do I already know enough to start using Unreal Engine 4 to make games:
    I learned and can use the following things: variables, functions, conditional statements, loops, arrays, vectors, pointers (only some basic things), classes and inheritance.

2. Would it be wise to start learning game development with an engine, or would it be better to learn the basics of game development first using an API like SFML.

Thanks.

Hi ,

I’d say jump right in! There’s nothing better than hands-on experience (includes lots of trial and error). If you’re merely waiting to be “ready”, not much is going to happen. So go right ahead. Make something simple, make it work, then make it work better.

EDIT: And re. point 2, that would depend on your goals. Do you want to make a game or something like a game framework/engine? If it’s the latter, then I guess something low-level like SFML is a better choice. But if you want to do gameplay programming, UE4 is a great choice.

+1 for Xenomes suggestion

I also jumped right into the fun -> it’s the best way to do it like that, because it’s more motivating than basic console programs :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep as said, just start :smiley: I would suggest to go to the tutorials on a specific topic to getting things done. Once you are more familiar with how things are made it is also easier to go deeper into the engine. Knowing more about a AAA engine works will help you also to start building your own if you want to go tat route later.

So just have fun with it :smiley: and as soon as possible you could just start a project, even a simple game will boost your learning curve.