Alts to overlaps.

It seems no one has a good solution for overlapping issues I am having so I am going to ask a different question what is a good alternative for checking is overlapping?

I was thinking draw trace would work. What do you think? I heard of other methods because other people are having issues with is overlapping and begin overlap but I have totally forgotten them.

For those who do not know. I have it set up where when you have a key, and are overlapping a padlock, when you press {x} key it opens the lock and it plays this animation, turns on physics and the lock falls to the ground (then of course over a bit of time destroys self). I have this collision box on my character and on the lock so it will easily overlap. The boolean I hooked up to check is overlapping shows true and false almost every frame, even though they are perfectly overlapping, begin overlap does not work how I want it to. I once had it working but then when I made a duplicate of the door to use somewhere else it broke again, and nothing I did fixed it.

So yeah what are good alternatives to is overlapping or what is a good way to set this up to be bloody reliable?

I cannot find the elevator + keypad projects so far.

Here is the blueprint that originally worked (before I duplicated the door and tried to use it somewhere else). There is the True False bit. That box behind me currently was in front of me and I was testing the component overlap as in the box behind me overlapping the locks box and it also does the same thing. I just moved it out of the way just to see something. The third image shows where the box was originally which should have registered an overlap. Begin overlap and is overlap have the same results true false etc. Albeit I need is for a constant source.

I have is overlapping as in the box on the character, and the box on the door not sure what you mean you seem to be suggesting a lot of what I have tried. Print string is being called using a custom event being powered by event tick asking is overlapping component. In the screenshot though it shows overlapping player because I was trying the player in that one since I was told that would be a better option the cube overlapping does not register either as I stated they both register the same when you set it up be it the cube overlapping the other cube or the cube overlapping the player. With the boolean I just need it to register if I am overlapping. It then allows a signal to go through to the next branch which checks and sees if I have a key if so then it allows power through that branch if both of them are true. I could use an and, or a gate. However, I think I used either at one point and it did not work either. Not sure why the not is there for but someone suggested to put that there. It actually helped at one point. I have been trying to fix the code that is the whole point of trying to find a stable overlap since neither the player overlapping or the cube overlapping reacts as a straight signal.

Side note without a strong signal as in overlapping registering true the entire time the key will not unlock.The door, on the other hand, is fine with opening and such they lock does work so well and I only want it to be reached from one side of the door.

Here is my blueprint for what the lock does. Basically, register that I am overlapping if I am, allow me to use the key if I have a key then play animation subtract key, then bring up the overlapping boxes for the door so I can open the door, different box registers different rotation animations to play. I could change the order but that would make no difference in me registering an overlap.

I feel like this should work in all honesty. However, as you can see this only registers false. The key when I get it registers true false as the above as well. However, at source it registers true fine though and even further upstream it registers fine it however doesn’t at that print string. Not sure what is even happening at this point.

Here you go, here is some really stupid stuff. I cannot even try to figure out why when you disconnect the node and reconnect it, it works for one turn even if I had an event begin it makes no sense.

I am told I do have twisted logic so.

Though the begin overlap and end overlap opening and closing a gate seems like a great idea. I plan to have a yellow emissive overlay per se on the lock to let players know they can open the door this is early stages of just getting the mechanics to work. Though this project is not meant to be AAA type it is a quick and dirty project for something else. Legit 4 months limit on it. I only have a months experience at most in Unreal :stuck_out_tongue: soooo… lol.

Okay now somehow the key broke lol.

It shows it working without the key. I was working on another project. I will test out some things later and tell you. The reason why it works without the key is now it is registering proper to a degree but the key now isn’t even though it is at the source. The square box sticking out is the overlapping bit with the other overlapping bit so it overlaps fully. I tried overlapping player I will try the capsule thing later when I can work on it again. Will be a day or so.