Alternatives to VS Express?

This is all good and well and stuff, but this requires a lot of money to put into, to just get a very basic feature of an IDE to work. TBH, i don’t need a fancy IDE. All I really want is an IDE with a good Project Explorer and working Auto Completion. I dont work in the gaming industrie, even though I might want to get into it in the future. I dont have the money, otherwise I would probably just spend it, if it works good.

As far as UE4 being dependend on VS goes:

The only thing i see is, that it creates VS Solutions. When there are IDEs that can use those solutions just like VS does, I dont see any Problems. Creating new files with the UE Editor should still work. You would just have to reload your IDE to get the new files. All I want is a working intellsense without spenind 4 Digit Amounts on it. I might just try arround a bit by myself.

UE only creates .sln for your convenience. You could just open the source files in Notepad if you wanted to. You can basically ignore the solution file.

Did you try to use Eclipse? I’m not sure how it references source files, but I’ve found a few articles on how to open .sln files with eclipse just by googling it.