Alternatives to the "Duplicate and Retarget" Workflow

Hello,

I’m attempting to use the valkiria asset by Tim Fun Time with Advanced Locomotion V4. Valkiria asset uses a slightly modified version of the Unreal skeleton, with a neck_02 bone added between neck_01 and head, and some extra bones added as child of head.

I have been watching this guide however, following it, the result seems to be that i effectively have to duplicate every animation, anim_BP, montage etc for every humanoid-like skeleton I have. This seems like a very wasteful process in many ways, and will lead to having mountains of multiplied, 99% identical assets, as soon as you start importing slightly different skeletons from the store. Additionally, duplicate and retarget is not available for the mesh itself, and simply changing the mesh’s skeleton will lead to errors or even engine crashes whenever the bone hierarchy isn’t precisely identical.

For this reason i cannot imagine there isn’t a workflow to properly swap out the skeleton in a mesh without re-rigging from scratch, or to merge two different skeletons into one, or whatever process does not lead to the above described issues.

Anyone has experience on this that can be shared, or tutorials to point me to?