Alternative to TAA/TSR? Reflections are terrible... :(

TAA/TSR seems to be extremely troublesome for making reflections look normal while moving. Are there any alternatives to this or are we being forced into using these now?

When the material is set to translucent (opacity 1) the ghosting seems to be less, but things behind the mirror can be seen in the reflection. It’s a bit hard to see so I included the wireframe, but basically the mirror holder can be seen in/through the reflection.

If the material is opaque, then it causes huge ghosting.

For functional car mirrors, you probably still want to use Planar reflections. But lumen reflections are still much better than what we had with SSR and reflection probes.

Planar reflections work nicely but they take too much performance… Its recommended to only have one in the world, and I’d need three. That option is a no go for now.

From the official documentation:
“Limit the number of Planar Reflections placed in the world. Often times, one will still be too much.”

There are alternatives, but they all have their pros and cons. DLSS generally has worked the best for me, but is obviously limited to only Nvidia GPUs. FSR and XESS are also options without as much hardware restrictions. All three of these alternatives would require a plugin.

i’ve been trying for an hour and something. that translucency thing looked interesting. it’s literally just the influence of motion vectors that creates this artefact. and… yes… mirrored objects create long temporal history trails if they are far away and you are too close to the mirror. been going thru the the whole shabang in the console. no significant changes to be found.

the only option may be to disable the history, and raytrace every pixel per frame without temporal fillers or motion compensation. i dunno how the performance would look like in this scenario.