Alpha Betta - Furious Elegance Challenge

Title: Alpha Betta

Video URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aTuQ771qRE

Student Submission: No

Description:
I built this betta fish as a fully procedural control rig in UE 5.2.1. It is a physics actor that is set to follow a pawn “invisible ball” that I’m actually controlling with a gamepad. Using track recorder to capture the preformances, most takes went straight into sequencer as is. If I needed to fine tune the animation further or control my morph targets for the closeups, I then baked to a second control rig that is not procedural. Some shots that were too hard to do with a game pad, I hand animated the position of the ball directly in sequencer and recorded the fish procedurally following that instead.

Credits to sourced content:
Base fish model: “Betta Spendens”
(Re-modelled, re-rigged, re-textured, re-skinned using maya and substance painter)

HDRIs: Heavy photoshopping combining these two hdris:
“Vestibule”
“Industrial Sunset (Pure Sky)”

Skylight setup, water warping and caustics effects from “Underwater Blueprint v2”

Quixel bridge megascans wooden table, retextured with megascans verdi alpi marble.

Music Provided By PeriTune, “Sad2 Piano and Strings (Royalty Free Music)”

Screenshot of project in-editor:

I can’t believe how good in editor looks at cinematic quality, DOF plus multiple levels of translucency and subsurf. Other than the occasional tripled up translucency sorting issues I’m very impressed this is real time! Getting 90-120fps almost constantly too!

The scene itself isn’t busy, and all the translucency is raster, so it rendered pretty fast at HD.

Materials are a mix of translucency and subsurf. I started with substrate, and the look was nicer, but I couldn’t handle the uncertainty at render time, too many strange things happening, not enough debug time.

Bubble material smooshed from a flurry of youtube tutorials and the UE Content Example pack. Jiggles!

This is my insane procedural rig that I’ve no idea if it’s done correctly, but it got the job done!

Here’s my much simpler “Baker” rig, with a basic backwards solve and forwards solve, plus a cute little face rig for his 6 basic morph targets (top row: glare, flare, eyes closed. bottom row: smile, frown, mouth open)

Here’s the simpler baker rig baked back onto the procedural fishy for some fine tune glaring.

Made use of the niagara sim caches for my bubbles, what a life safer! Baked my “bubble tornado” into a subscene and just brought it in to various shots when needed.

My ref for texturing and lighting, using midjourney for concept art and generating a fish tile which I then painstakingly re-painted / cleaned up by hand to get a non repetitive non glitchy diffuse rough and height. A lot of substance painter work after that. Fin lines are done by forcing the UVs to be straight and using a tiled vertical band texture.

My masterpiece of a storyboard.

5 Likes

This was so crazy good… amazing.

1 Like

Hey there @parakyl !

I was honestly mesmerized by the motions of this animation not to mention the way the fins were moving was absolutely wonderful. It almost felt like I was watching something so natural with the amount of fluidity. In the end, watching as the two became the one I was quite surprised but thought it was a beautiful unity. Many meanings can be had from such simple motions.

You’ve done a good job with your creation and I hope you keep with it so we can see more from you in the future!

1 Like

Very very impressive, I think if you’re getting that of FPS your “insane” rig must be built correctly haha. Would love to see a tutorial out of this for even the most basic rigging approach with procedural system stuff. GREAT work

1 Like

Yeah. I second seeing a tutorial. The story is beautiful and the movement very natural. Great work!

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your kind words! It means a lot, I really really pushed myself on this one. Learned a LOT, still feel like I know nothing. Fairly certain I’m supposed to have used animation blueprints but things kept working without them, but that surely can’t be right, lol.

I’ll for sure cobble together a “making of” vid this week and post here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Remember I’m still learning and saying probably many wrong things and to take everything in there with large doses of salt hahaha!

Also sorry it’s so long. I do a mini simple tutorial first half, then walked through my mess of a fish file second half. I added chapters so you can skip to whatever interested you the most :slight_smile:

3 Likes