All Text Literals Lost in Blueprints and UMG after error

OK, I’m currently using 4.5 preview, but I’ve seen this issue with 4.4 too - it just took me a while to figure out what was going on.

So in summary, if there is any type of error that can ‘crash’ UE4 - I will lose all my Text Literals everywhere. Including ones in Blueprints and most frustratingly my UMG Widget. My project is still ‘small’ so every time this has happened, I’ve managed to just go back and fill them in without too much headache but its starting to get annoying. Its happened at least 4 or 5 times now, persisting from 4.4-4.5 (it may have existed even earlier honestly).

So in my latest crash, what I had basically done was some ‘reorganizing’. I moved some blueprints around into new folders - one of them being the GameInstance blueprint. I then pressed ‘Simulate’ and the application crashed about not being able to create a NULL GameInstance. I realized then there was probably some bad reference as a result of moving things around - I eventually found in my project settings the GameInstance wasn’t set any more as a result of moving it and so I reset it and then the app worked again - only now all my Widget Text Blocks now say ‘Text Block’ and anywhere in a blue print where you type a Text literal, was now ‘blank’.

This has happened before with different kinds of crashes, I was just hoping that being about to spell out exactly how it crashed this time might help you guys replicate this issue, because its going to drive me crazy down the road if I have an almost finished game and I have to reenter every text literal!

(and its only text literals - everything else is fine - integers anything)

Does this occur in a clean project with no additional content? For instance if you create a literal string that plugs into a print string blueprint actor, then cause the editor to crash, does the literal text disappear? Additionally have you ensured that you have compiled and saved the information before a crash occurs?

Hi ,

We have not heard from you in quite some time. I am marking this thread as answered for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing this error, please comment with the requested information. Thank you!