All games that run on UE4 crash on startup

I’ve also seen this when something like Intel Optimus tries to dynamically switch between graphics cards based on load - which of course almost never works and causes these kinds of crashes.

I have found quite some other things being affected by the issue while doing the google research. Some goes back as far as 2014!! Amazing this issue still around.

Application reports what Windows’ DirectX reports (that DXGI_… comes from DirectX) and as it does not know how to handle such error, it aborts… again, trying to send commands after this error is most of the times BSOD or Windows freeze, due to invalid handles.

For DirectX behave like that you have few options:

• UE or any other DX application not sending proper command sequence
  • UE or any other DX sending command with wrong data size (so DirectX will wait for the remaining of data if still not reaching size)
  • Graphics’ Card Driver not behaving properly (doesn’t they need to pass a battery of tests by Microsoft? If, so Microsoft is to blame on the tests)
  • Graphics’ Card BIOS not behaving properly with Graphics’ Card Driver (Is there any BIOS update?)
  • issues on Graphics’ Card Driver installation
  • issues on DirectX installation (in case older Windows versions)

Sorry to the OP to include in the post such amount of technical stuff, I promise I will stop before having thread moderated.

I like getting exposure to all the technical know-how, even if most of it is a bit over my head, no complaints here.

While I would love to point the finger at UE4, it seems my GPU is unable to maintain a steady core speed. Which would suggest that something is physically wrong with it.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t…s-run-fine-/2/

From what your saying maybe there’s something just a little bit off with both my card and UE4 and when put together creates a problem? Idk, grasping at straws lol

I’m thinking that I’ll have to RMA my GPU

I’ve never overclocked any part of my PC. I’m not even sure how the process works, and I’m pretty sure the only thing that’s factory overclocked is my GPU, which I tested using NVIDIA’s debug mode. “which will downclock any factory overclocked graphics card to Nvidia reference clock speeds” Would you suggest looking into this further than that?

I would RMA the graphics card if you could have at your hands at least another graphics card to make sure the issue is not elsewhere in your computer. Do you have anyone to borrow for like 1 hour or so? If the same model the better, but it has to be an NVidia card at least GTX 1070TI, GTX 1080, 1080TI or even a Titan XP (pascal).

I do not. This is my first and only build and I have no spare pc parts.
I did run the game on my IGPU and it runs fine without crashing

I guess there is no other way, you should RMA it. I do feel for your case, it is really sad build something which has a high cost like this nowadays to get to the point it just not do what was intended to do. If I was not living in another country (Brazil here) I would get out my house with a card on hands and check this personally for you.

I do hope you have this working in no time and please let us know how this ended later. All the best!

Thanks for the support, will let you know how it goes

Had a number of people experience the same issue with our game.
This is probably the best discussion of it I’ve seen so far.
Thank you to all those who contributed to this topic.
Special thanks to @BLQQD1 for your patience, responses to advice and sharing your results.

Well I did RMA my gpu, but the sent it back saying it was perfectly fine, and that I should upgrade to a 750watt psu. I finally got around to doing that but the problem still persists. Waiting to hear what manufacturer suggests next

Also, the one other place I encounter errors is when editing complex 3d models. It tends to crash in a similar manner, so its probably not just the UE4 engine. I guess ill try a new MOBO/CPU.

The ultimate test would be trying that GPU on another PC. If it crashes on a completely different PC, you could try talking Epic into trading it for a new GPU while you ship them yours: it would be a golden opportunity to have a GPU that can 100% repro the elusive DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error at the hands of some Epic staff.

I’ve fixed it! WOOOOT! I swear I tried this before, but this time it worked!

Downloaded the AORUS ENGINE from gigabytes website and used it to underclock the factory overclock by -138.

No more crashing! Played a whole hour and a half straight!

Underclocking eh?
Have to keep that in mind.
Thank you again for sharing :slight_smile:

Yup, I have mentioned to remove overclocking at the very beginning of the thread, but I guess underclocking can do the trick, but know that in this particular case the card has issues, otherwise underclocking wouldn’t fix anything. I still think the issue is a combination of hardware and definitely getting the same card into another system and testing it, would give the hint we all need to understand whats going on, because if it works with original clock speed then the culprit would be the mobo.

Yea you did. What I tried was nividia’s debug mode

“Beginning with driver version 355.82, Nvidia has added a new feature called “Debug Mode”, which will downclock any factory overclocked graphics card to Nvidia reference clock speeds. This is a great feature to help determine problems with the card, or for games that are sensitive to overclocked video cards.”

Strangely it didn’t do anything for me. I don’t know why that didn’t work but underclocking slightly did

Sorry for answering on a thread, that is two years old but want to ask if there is anything new?
I have this issue (all games with unreal engine freeze or crashing to restart or hardreset) too over years. as it happens the first time i thought my hardware is broken. but all games without the unreal engine were doing well. i thought it was my hardware constellation, that some components in combi with the engine causes the issues. in meantime i got a new pc, nothing oc and i want to play tiny tinas wonderland and you know what, it crashes to restart or freezes to hardrest like the other games in the years before too. so i began to studie the internet and found several threads in this forum from people with the same issue. even developer are writing in this forum adressing this issue.
The sadest thing for me is, that it seems to be not an issue of some users, the number of people affected seems very high, even many developers are affected. So I also assume that epic is aware of this error in their engine that has existed for years, but unfortunately is not doing anything about it. The error stays in the engine and migrates into every new game and the customers are surprised, buy new hardware and are even more surprised because the error is still there. How many applications with the engine are there? I can only report that I really have this error in every unreal engine 4 game. most recently in Borderlands 3 and Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands. Unplayable. What is also not considered is the effort that the customer makes to localize an error. Unfortunately, I will now boycott all unreal engine games because they have become unplayable for me and I do not want to support this error any longer. I don’t understand why more developers aren’t reaching out and complaining.

EPIC, pls fix this issue or inform your customers that nearly every game with unreal engine 3/4 is affected. Inform them, that people not longer searching issues in their hardware and buying new one in hope the issue is gone.

Sry for my very bad english

Same problem here. xfx rx560d am3+ mobo with an fx 8320e 16gb. I tought it was just my pci 2.0 not playing nice with the gpu but who knows. sometimes i underclock it and it can run pubg or any other ue4 game but it just make it crash later on…

I’m sorry for replying to such an old thread, but this is still happening. Pretty much brand new PC, built in July of last year with all new parts. 5600G, 6700 XT, 16gb 3200 Ripjaws V, 650W PSU, 2TB P3 M.2 drive. I haven’t touched any sort of overclocking and my 5600G iGPU is disabled through the BIOS.

Anytime I play Supraland I get the whole “HUNG” D3D device issue. Any other game I play works just fine and I never get any crashes unless it’s to do with modding a game, which is to be expected. Sad to see that this is still an issue 4 years later.

Thank you so much bro, you fixed my problem :wink: