Alembic File Fail to Import

Hello all!

I created an animation in Houdini and tried to export it as alembic file. However, Unreal freeze every time I tried to import it (stuck in 0%). The file is only 48mb. I tried with a simple box animation alembic file and that works fine so probably not because of my export import setting. Also tried with Maya and the alembic file opens fine there as well…

Sorry Unreal doesn’t allow me to attach any files since I’m a new user. Could anyone tell me if there is any requirement for alembic file geometry in Unreal? Thank you!

Hi @Xyli21!

Are there any output logs that you can share? Any additional information you can provide will be a big help in solving your problem.

In the meantime, here are a couple of similar forum threads with just in case they can shed more light on what may be the issue:

Unreal won’t import Alembic file
&
Cannot import houdini simulations (alembic)

1 Like

Hi @Quetzalcodename !

Thank you for your reply! I checked the posts earlier too. My frame 1 isn’t empty and my geometry’s polygons are all 4 edges. I’m sorry there isn’t any log showing or fail message showing, it just stuck on compiling shaders and the percentage bar stay in 0%…

I rebuild my geometry another way and the alembic file works now. Maybe the problem is that the previous geometry isn’t clean? (reverse faces or intersecting shapes?)