AimOffset goes back to base pose every frame

Hi guys, I’m making an AimOffset for my FPS character and I’ve done this by using the AimOffset documentation of UE. The documentation states that you have to add a base pose to the aim pose animations (the animations containing 1 frame for the aim pose) and the AimOffset. But now I have the problem that it wants to go back to the base pose for every frame (see video). Once, I thought that I solved it by putting the base pose to None for the aim pose animations, but then my character was messed up and also got 10 times as big.

VIDEO: https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/uq3u0d/aimoffset_wants_to_go_back_to_base_pose_every/

I don’t see other people having this problem. Hopefully someone can help me.

Thank you!

I’m having this exact same issue on a 1D Aim Offset and I can’t figure out for the life of me why it’s happening. In UE4 I have done this multiple times but this is my first time trying it in UE5.

Your missing left up and left down as well as right up and right down in your aim offset blend space

As you can see in the picture, this is (unfortunately) not the case

And just for context, he’s having the issue in a normal Aim Offset while I’m seeing the same thing in a 1D setup for a side-scroller.

So I figured out what was happening and I think it will be the same fix for the OP.

Instead of trying to trim frames from the anim to get a single frame (which doesn’t work now as the entire animation will be compressed into a single frame rather than just the pose), find the pose you want then go to Create Asset > Create Animation > Current Pose. Do this for each of the poses you need and then put them in the Aim_Offset and you should be all set.

2 Likes

I didn’t have much time to work on it, but I’ve tried your solution immediately and luckily it worked! Thank you man!

I created the poses and now my problem is solved. Don’t forget to set the additive settings to Mesh Space and Reference Pose.

Unfortunately, now my character has a weird pose when the aimoffset is active. Its arms are twisted and behind his head, but that’s a problem for next time ;). Maybe I’ve to adjust the blueprint for getting the rotation values.

1 Like

Okay I had to redo step 20. Change the Base Pose Type to Selected animation frame , then under Base Pose Animation , click the pick asset icon and choose Idle_Rifle_Hip .

Thanks for the help SithHunter, see you around!

1 Like

Happy to help man. Good luck!

Thank you for your fix @SithHunter worked for me :+1:

1 Like