AI Generated rubbish

Is it just me? Or has the standard of the marketplace severely dropped due to the insane amount of AI generated rubbish/garbage that has flooded the scene.
Trying to find the perfect assets for your project I feel is harder :sleepy: Most of the new packs are 1000ā€™s icons and images that a blind man can tell were generated and I canā€™t believe its allowed to be honest.
Iā€™m currently working on a pirate game and sifting through all the ā€œpirate avatar mega packsā€ to find good quality usable characters is frustrating to say the least.
Anyway! Enough of my ranting.
What do you guys think?

5 Likes

I think AI is a natural development of technology. Humanity is developing, looking for easier and more comfortable ways, improving current technologies and this is simply progress.

I absolutely agree that there are people who generate packs of simple icons and flood the Marketplace, but among them there are also useful ones, for example, as icons for sills. The artist does not have to invent and draw, and the buyer receives fairly high-quality work for a meager amount of money.

AI generators are only a couple of years old, people are just getting used to it, and the market for work done using these technologies is in its infancy. I am sure that in the future there will be stricter control over both the quality of works and their placement on the Marketplace.

Even simple ā€œAIā€ tags (which you can ignore) in Marketplace search will help hide them. For example, this already exists on ArtStation.

To summarize everything that I wrote above, I am for the development of technology, the improvement of programs, but all this must be done under control and meaningfully so as not to flood the market with garbage, not to mislead and not to create inconvenience for people who do not want to see it.

2 Likes

AI-generated content does not add any value to the marketplace.

1. If the content is AI-generated, that is a liability, because all the major AI platforms do not appropriately license their training data and whether if that matters is yet to be decided. This is also why Epic themselves does not use AI-generated content in their own games.
  1. If it is ok to use AI-generated content regardless of how the training data was sourced, AI-generated content would no longer be a liability, but it would be worthless. Why would I pay for someone elseā€™s generic AI-generated content when I could create my own unique set of icons using the AI tools? Prompting is not hard.
3 Likes
  • +1000. The market has been flooded with AI trash (2d Assets). I call it trash because it is low quality, unwanted (by me), and Epic didnt give us a way to exclude it.
  • Thus like you, I am forced to sort thru 1000 assets of trash. Im not anti AI gen (icons may be useful). But when Epic forces us to sort thru low quality assets, now they are costing me money (lost time), while rewarding low quality floods.
  • Also some 2D asset creators are scamming/false advertising by calling their store or asset ā€œCharacter creator.ā€ This is extra annoying and a strain on the eyes, because Epic is forcing me to look at the ā€œ2d assetā€ label instead of the image; but now 2d Asset sellers are giving false advertisements in the image by adding text that says ā€œCharacters.ā€ So I am now forced to check 2 things with the eyes x 1000 assets = annoying.
  • Please support a vote to get Epic to add exclusion filters for AI and 2D assets:
    [SUPPORT] How do we exclude 2d Assets? Give us a way to stop wasting our time
3 Likes