Advice wanted regarding the amount of C++ Programming...

Hello All.

I need advice regarding how much of my time will be used on actual programming and not the 250 other things VR games takes in order to make.

I’m very interested in learning C++ for robotics. and I’ve been studying c++ programming books and tutorials and coding for 8+ hours the past 14 days. Now I’ll have to take focus a little more on school again, so I’ll only have 2-3 hours a day for programming, but I think this is great for the rest of the year.

2 years back I tried to get into VR with unity3D and C#, but ended up quitting and focusing on 3D modeling in CAD instead, now I’m okay in CAD and want a new skill which is programming.

My focus is just to be good at programming, but I was thinking about taking this more creative road towards programming with visualizing CAD models or VR simulations for Robotics instead of only doing hardware programming for robots.

As I tried to do a little VR in Unity for google cardboard. I understand there is a lot more to it for making it and it’ll probably take a year to get all the basic in before I’ll start making something better.

But I’m interested in knowing how much c++ programming can I do / will I do? with my time and how much of my time will be used with 3D modeling / 3D graphics etc etc etc
I would like to do no extra things like rigging, 3D graphic 3D modeling, 2D graphic, audio etc, but just use existing free packages or use my own 3D CAD models and just focus on programming. is this possible? or will I just end up spending more time on learning and doing everything else besides programming?

Worst case scenario I can do Illustrator and 3ds Max as a beginner.

I might end up really enjoying VR since I’m much more a visual person.

Thanks alot for taking your time to read this. I hope you’ll shoot in your 2 cents and have a nice day.

There is no firm distribution of any project takes X percentage of Programming, Y Art/Music/Asset creation, and Z Design.

I’ve seen projects that are entirely blueprint driven (so no “real” C++). And I’ve seen huge C++ projects. It just depends on what you want to do, what problems you come across and what you are most comfortable with. If you want to stay on the art side of things as much as possible, go for it and just use Blueprints for as much as you can. Just because its VR doesn’t mean you are inherently stuck with C++. That said, hardcore robotics tend to deal with ASM level code, so if that is your goal - I would focus on traditional CompSci courses and just code as much as possible in normal C/C++.

“How much time does it take to go on a road trip? How much of that time do you spend in the car?”

It depends entirely on what it is you want to do.