Advice for corona and forest pack

Hello everyone,
I’m a beginner with unreal engine, and am currently on UE5 .
I want to import a lot of forest pack assets with Corona as my renderer.

I have tried using datasmith but have multiple problems. One is with forest pack - the assets are hit and miss if they import properly and I have resorted to instantiating the assets first and applying a datasmith modifier to the source objects so that they export as placeholder boxes. I can then replace them in UE with the source geometry that I have separately exported.

The second and perhaps larger problem is the materials. I have a mix of corona legacy and corona physical materials. I am aware of problems with corona physical materials and have read about this elsewhere on the forums, but I’m still having problems with the legacy materials.

I’m interested in people’s work arounds for this problem. Is it best to try converting the whole scene to vray first, or Arnold? If so is there a converter that exists that successfully translates corona physical materials, and more complex mats that have a front and back? Remaking all my forest materials in UE5 seems a hugely time consuming and an impossible task. Also to note, my plant assets need to be very specific and so replacing the assets with versions that have been made for UE I don’t think will work.

Does anyone have any advice for these problems?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Kazzagaz !

We will be releasing a new version of the 3dsmax plugin with 5.1 (release TBA) with a lot of improvements to the Corona materials (including support for Corona Physical Materials) and ForestPack/RailClone.

Cheers,
Antoine

2 Likes

Hi Antoine,
Thanks for your reply. I await the release with great anticipation! And in the meantime I continue to battle on trying to find a work around for this. I am trying V-RayMtl Converter 3 at the moment to see if it may work as a short-term solution.

you can also try vray6 converter, but I assume that zver converter does better job. (vray converter simply destroys a lot of shaders)

1 Like