Advanced TopDown Template - Features

The editor crashes when I try to upgrade my project containing TopDown Template from 4.5.1 to 4.6.1. Is this a known issue or just on my end?

Hi ,

yes, thats a known issue. The reason is that 4.6* seems to have a problem with converting projects that use casts inside FunctionLibraries.

A quick solution would be to create an empty 4.6 project, add the TopDown Toolkit there (i made a specific 4.6 version that works correctly) and migrate everything under /TopDownToolkit/Blueprints to your own project. Then it should work correctly with 4.6.1.

Cheers,

Is it possible for you to make a 3d sidescroller template?

Mr.Indi is it possible in the future you can make a 3d side scroller template?

Hi,

depends on what you define as “in the future” :wink:

Right now i am still working heavily on some updates to the toolkit, and as long as i didnt submit all the updates that i already promised in the forum or to various customers, i wont be submitting anything else.

Generally regarding updates to the Toolkit:
Unfortunately, networking support is taking much more time than i expected, mainly for the reason that there are major issues with replicating NavMesh movement for player characters.
I am currently deep in Epics code regarding Navmeshes, replication and movement prediction, trying to fix it myself and submitting a pull request. I am not bad with C++, but that parts are…well, lets say i am having fun :slight_smile:

A big question would be if this is a feature that is needed by customers and potential customers. I can do movement for the player and replicate it correctly, but only without navmesh support, so there wouldnt be pathfinding for the player character (this would still work for AI, really just talking about the player character). Any opinions?

Cheers,

hey ,
Please check your PM storage space. looks like it is full and you can’t receive any new messages. = )

Already cleaned up, should work again now, thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

P.S.: now really cleaned up, seems like i really got to delete everything and not just move to a different folder….

Cheers,

When I do that, the player is unable to walk when I click somewhere, even on the Example Map.

Are you trying with 4.6 or with 4.7? 4.7 has a known Bug where Topdownmovement generally wont work (SimpleMoveTo).

If you are on 4.6, do you have the correct Inputbindings? Do you see anything happening in the MyController eventgraph in debug mode?

Cheers,

Thank you for answering my question,and a thousand apologies for the late response. It turn out that ue4 does have a 3d sidescroller it just call sidescroller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnRVxnvsNzY Can i ask you a another question do make blueprints?

Well, its the forums and i am here for exactly that, so just ask :slight_smile:

Can you post a screenshot of the input mappings you used? They are not included with the sample.

Bug details:

Yes, i am aware of that issue, and i already worked something out with Epic. Please also note that this only happens with the 4.6 version of the toolkit, if you download the one for 4.5 the input bindings are correctly delivered.
This will be solved with the next update i submit (after 4.7 went final i’ll submit a rather big update).

See a Screenshot of my Bindings below; usually i encourage people to just drop me a mail with a proof they bought the toolkit, and they would get a download link for the current version of the toolkit including of course all the correct configs.

Cheers,

Hi ,

Just got the kit, looks great but yeah, doesn’t seem to like 4.7… get lots of errors and the camera is just flying around like it does in a basic empty level.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the same problem as mentioned above? If so, is it something you’re already working on?

Hi,

of course you are not doing anything wrong; The update i submitted to Epic for 4.7 is still not through on the marketplace unfortunately.
I would ask you to send me the receipt you got from Epic to my support mail address as a proof you bought it (we as content providers still dont have any access to this information from Epic), and i will send you a download link for the current versions of the Toolkit.

Thanks for your understanding!

Cheers,

Really great toolkit, its been really useful for getting my project started and also understand blueprints from a programming background (Java/C).

If your looking for more features to add to the kit, may I suggest some type of field of vision like rooms are only visible once you enter or at least the portion you could see through the doorway.

Hi Edward,

If i would do something like that it would need to be really flexible, being able to just fade out Specific Meshes/SkeletalMeshes (enemies) when they are out of sight (that would be the easy part) and also being able to hide complete rooms when you did not yet walk through them (Fog-of-war like) and some more stuff, to be able to handle as many scenarios as possible. I am not exactly sure if i am able to do this, but when i got some time when i dont do support for the Toolkit, i may start implementing that.

Cheers,

IndyGoof can you please fix the TopDownToolkit to UE 4.8 or are you allready busy with that

Actually i am no longer busy with that since i already submitted the new version for 4.8 last week; Though i still did not hear anything back from Epic.

The version for 4.8 took a bit longer since i rewrote quite some stuff of the toolkit to now be component based (Now there’s a HealthComponent, a SkillComponent, a TopDownMovementComponent, etc); This was only possible with 4.8 since before there was a bug with Replication with Blueprint Components.

If you want a version for 4.8 already, drop me a mail (office [at] indygoof [dot] net) with the receipt you got from epic when buying the toolkit (as a proof of purchase) and i will send you a link to download the current version.

Cheers,

He thanks Indygoof i droped an email:)