Advanced TopDown Template - Features

looks great! you have my vote :slight_smile:

Awesome! I voted. IF marketplace does not accept it, please sell it on your own.

I was planning to learn to do something like this.
What about you add sneaking mode, where the character could crouch and walk slowly and dont be heard?
You already know how much will be the price? I’m very interested to buy this one.

You mean something like this? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hearing in the TopDownToolkit is implemented through the PawnSensingComponent only. As of now, noise is made while walking, but not for any other action; Of course you can extend it as you wish later.

Regarding the price, to be honest, i still have no real idea how much to charge. What do you think, what would be a good price that does not hurt your pocket (still considering the value you get with the Toolkit)?

Cheers,

Yes! Exactly this!

Man, I’m unemployed right now, just freelancing. And I’m from Brazil, and right now the dollar price is very high here.
Then I couldn’t offer a too big load, even that if you give a short price a lot more people will buy this, but you need to ask a price that is good to you too.
If it was around $10~20 dollars I would buy it right now. But would be necessary that you document in a good level the blueprints to people who buy this could learn how that works.
I’m not pretending to offend you, if you dont like the price, just tell me. This is how much I could pay this time.
Anything, we can talk by PM if you prefer.

Are you using Github to versionate this asset?

Hi,

Regarding the documentation, the blueprints are generally full with comments, though it can be a bit hard to understand how everything is connected (i.e. setting a state in the BehaviourTree to finally play some animation and apply damage).
I will do some “external” documentation for this, to explain the important stuff, also with some Q/A like “How can i implement a new Skill?” etc. (and you can always write me a pm with a question :wink: ).

The heaviness of understanding all the connections between the Controllers/Trees/Tasks/AnimBPs … also made me think that i dont stuff the Toolkit with features, cause any additional feature will make it harder to understand in a whole. I will add new features on request, as soon as any documentation questions and issues that customers may have are solved.

Cheers,

I would certainly purchase this as it looks very useful!

Nice. I’m thinking about purchasing it as well, but a few questions :slight_smile:

How easy is to plugin your own characters? For everything? And what about using a PS4 controller for example? Can I change the camera with joystick buttons?

Hey,

Well, you need to put the right Animations into the AnimBlueprint (and extend it as needed), which shouldnt be much more than deleting the old animations and drag’n’dropping the new, and you need to create a new CharacterBlueprint and copy/paste the Blueprint nodes from the original one.

For changing the AnimBlueprint, you should be familiar with the key concepts of it, but this is a prerequisite for a game anyways, since you will want to extend the animations for different skills, etc.

You can actually change the camera with whatever you like. The camera is not hard-wired with any input actions, but has it’s own custom events for ZoomIn/ZoomOut/…
In the sample project, the input actions are processed in the PlayerController and then “forwarded” to the camera. This way its not only possible to make the camera detached from the input actions, but you can also control the camera from outside (i.e. the PlayerController or whatever) from your blueprint nodes (i.e. if the player reaches a certain area, you can automatically zoom out, etc).

Cheers,

TopDown Toolkit is on the marketplace now!

**Please be aware that there is an issue **right now with the way the content is added to an existing project!
Since the toolkit was created as a sample project to build from, it has config files with it. When Adding the toolkit to an existing project, the files in the Config - directory will be overwritten!
I am already working with Epic on fixing the issue, for now i would recommend to create a new empty project with the name TopDownToolkit (any other name will result in an error when opening the project, since its the name in the configs), add the toolkit there, and then migrate from there.

I am sorry for these issues and hope that these are soon resolved!

@indygoof Is this Networked enabled? If not, how difficult would it be to make it networked enabled.

I was actually working on my own version of this, but your version is much more polished so guess what I am buying … 8-}

Hi,

not yet. But making it networking enabled shouldnt be too hard if you are already familiar with replication in UE3/4.

Networking Support, as well as a sample game for 2 player over the network, is planned for the next update of the toolkit, which i may submit within the next 2 weeks.

:slight_smile:

Cheers,

@indygoof: Awesome sauce … I am buying this when I get home tonight. I don’t need networking right away but will in the long run. 8-}

Thank you for an awesome pack, you have saved me tons of work … now I can finally complete one of my life-long goals … 8-}

Thanks! :slight_smile:

If you have any additional feature that you may need, dont hesitate to contact me per mail or pm, if its feasible i will most probably update the toolkit with that feature.

Cheers,

Will you be adding Third Person control and navigation in the future in addition to the point and click navigation?

I’m currently in the process of adding third-person-style control for another customer. This should make it into the toolkit during the next week (not including the time Epic needs for review).

Cheers,

So, right now, controls through virtual joystick and targetting through look-at-rotation instead of point-and-click is in. What you can do now also is configure WASD movement and skill execution through the keyboard.
Is there anything else you would want to see for third-person-style control?

In the meanwhile, before i submit the update to the marketplace, i will now work on finishing networking support and creating a sample 2 player game.

Cheers,

Thanks - The only thing I can think of beyond that is a targeting crosshair for Third person. Thanks!

@indygoof: Awesome news about the networking. I am having a blast using your system. 8-}

Will this be updated to work with 4.6 at all?