Advanced Space Shader

I don’t need this really…but will buy it day one. Awesome work man it’s so cool. I’ll find a use for it.

Thanks! It’s going to be on sale when it launches for a couple of weeks, just so you know. :slight_smile: I’m not sure how long the request to go on sale will take though.

Hi ,

This looks amazing! Just like TheMoejahi3d., I don’t currently need this but may be a day 1 buyer provided I can fit it into my upcoming project. I own your Advanced Cell Shading pack so I’ know quality will be good :). I do have a few questions regarding usability:

I see two different types of projects I would use this for and have a few questions for each:

A space shooter game (like Starfox)
-How big can this skysphere get realistically if I want to base different levels inside this?
-If I fill this with planetoids and orbiting bodies, how is this on performance?
-Is it possible to change parameters or add / remove bodies during runtime via Blueprint? Say I want to trigger specific events during gameplay (like spawn an asteroid field).

Using this as my skysphere for a thirdperson game
-You mentioned this is possible - can you create a brief video example on how this will look like?
-How do you create the far away stars (dots on the spacescape)? Are they a texture or actual generated points?
-Is the skysphere animated in any way beside the moving planetoids? For example, can I have the actual skysphere rotate (with all its stars) giving the illusion that my landscape is on a planet in orbit?
-How did you create the Earth and moon? Did you import a texture of Earth or did you make it all procedurally via the material?
-How hard would it be to create specific landmass in a planet?

And finally, how is the pack organized? Are the planetoids a separate BP from the sun or skysphere? Can I create the planets separately and place the actor anywhere on my scene?

Sorry for all the questions but I’m really excited about the possibilities, so need some clarification :slight_smile:

Thanks!

-J

Hey!

I don’t actually know what size limit of objects in UE is - so presumably that. The space sphere defaults to something like 50,000,000 units wide. Ideally you could get it to a point there there’s no parallax if you fly around a solar system. That said, the textures on the space sphere are triplanar so they look like they’re omni-present in relation to the camera position - until you actually hit the edges of the sphere it will look like it’s infinitely distant to a degree.

I haven’t tested performance on a large scale yet. My first encounter with ISMs was to make the foliage generator for the planets and I was thinking of flipping the planets to use those as virtually everything in this pack uses one of two static meshes. It might be a day one update since it’s been on my mind.

You can change parameters at run time or spawn new planetoids. One feature coming later on is a planet/system randomizer using a seed for quickly populating a large space environment. Planetoids, stellar bodies and the space sphere are each a single blueprint actor.

I will do a video for you today!

The stars are a texture. You can change the texture and the scale, brightness, etc. Stars look different on the ground than they do outside of the atmosphere, so this is useful for that.

Right now you can rotate the spacesphere to give the impression of an orbiting asteroid belt, but because the textures are triplanar the gas clouds and stars won’t move. I solved seamless texturing in a different way for the planetoids and I can apply that change here. I’ll have a go for the video above.

The Earth and Jupiter use a texture - you can either colour the diffuse by terrain height and longitudinal gradient, or you can texture it. And that’s no moon…

It’s easy to create landmasses! Make a 2:1 sized texture such as 4096x2048 and use it to create a heightmap. Then enable water and adjust it to the appropriate height. From there you can tweak settings such as weathering from terrain age and transmission until you have the visual style you’re after.

Hi ,

Thanks for the quick response!

I’m really glad to hear that you are considering making the planets ISMs…in a large spacescape it will make a big difference. Also love the idea of the randomizer thats coming down the line. Can’t wait for the video! Will keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks!

Just checking out the ISM for planetoids, it looks like it’ll be a bit of work to convert everything, so this will be a post-release update. Definitely happening though.

Seemed to work pretty good. I had to remove the base skysphere and atmosphere completely, switch the skylight to movable and reduce the intensity, edit the spacesphere and make the directional light static (to build better shadows later) and turned on bloom. The sun become a moon since it’s a night-time scene.

I also switched to a proper cloud texture just now and it looks even better, so that’ll go into the asset in the first patch:

Very cool! Thank you for showing how it looks like! Can’t wait for it to be released :slight_smile:

This looks really awesome!

Would be nice if there was a secondary sphere or dome for faking planetary exit / Entry. :slight_smile:

Either way just a thought.

That’s a great idea! There’s nothing stopping you from adding a second, smaller spacesphere to do this, it should work good, add a bit of depth fade to blend it out as you get near. I’ll try to set up an example.

So while I’m just twiddling my thumbs waiting for review and release, I’ve added dynamic tessellation to the planetoids and also improved how they look up close:

This just keeps looking better and better man. Amazing work.

The asset has reached staging. Thank you for your patience everyone!

Hey everyone! Just letting you know that the asset launches TODAY for $29.99. And just because I like you guys so much, here’s a picture of a planet made out of brussel sprout:

I am disapointed that there is no meat planet :stuck_out_tongue:

The brussel sprout planet is rumoured to have a meat core, if only you could eat your way to it. :wink:

It looks like the last update I dropped to Epic was a little too late to go live with the asset, so look for an update in the next couple of days that adds detail texturing for close-in shots and better displacement/tessellation.

Man this looks amazing, congratulations!. How long is the sale going for?

It’s not on sale - $29.99 is the normal price point. They wouldn’t let me have a sale in the first two weeks after release, which kind of punishes early adopters.

Hi !

Nice to see its already been released and with an awesome upcoming update! Do you plan on putting this on sale after 2 weeks (quickest Epic will let you)? I’m super excited for it, but was kinda counting on that sale to get it as an impulse buy :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work!