Advanced Sessions Plugin

[quote=“Mateuus27, post:1866, topic:30020”]

Update to Editor 4.20.1 ?

4.20 yes, 4.20.1 isn’t out yet

[quote=“KelbornKad, post:1867, topic:30020”]

Is it suitable only for steam or I can use it for any platform?

Any platform

General note to people: There are some steam bugs in 4.20 that have been reported to Epic, if you aren’t finding lobbies hopefully it will be fixed by 4.20.1

[quote=“, post:1868, topic:30020”]

Any platform

Cool.
I am currently trying to get friends of player. Just looping through stored in game instance UniqueNetId+PlayerController and checking with

void UAdvancedFriendsLibrary::IsAFriend(APlayerController*, const FBPUniqueNetId, bool&) 

function. Am I guessing right that inputs PlayerController and UniqueNetId belong to the player that we want to check if he is friend to local player (which is not used by function in input)?

[quote=“KelbornKad, post:1869, topic:30020”]

Cool.
I am currently trying to get friends of player. Just looping through stored in game instance UniqueNetId+PlayerController and checking with void UAdvancedFriendsLibrary::IsAFriend(APlayerController*, const FBPUniqueNetId, bool&)
function. Am I guessing right that inputs PlayerController and UniqueNetId belong to the player that we want to check if he is friend to local player (which is not used by function in input)?

Playercontroller is local player, UniqueNetID is the person to check if they are a friend.

4.20.1 please

[quote=“DecodeTM, post:1871, topic:30020”]

4.20.1 please

Already up, i’ll rename the download though, forgot to do that.

Thanks a lot for this plugin, OP! Also thanks for keeping it up to date all this time :slight_smile:
However, the code is unusable in C++ as-is. You might be interested to know that for it to work, we need to remove the MinimalAPI class and interface specifier, as well as add PLUGINNAME_API before all classes and interfaces declarations.

[quote=“Altrue, post:1873, topic:30020”]

Thanks a lot for this plugin, OP! Also thanks for keeping it up to date all this time :slight_smile:
However, the code is unusable in C++ as-is. You might be interested to know that for it to work, we need to remove the MinimalAPI class and interface specifier, as well as add PLUGINNAME_API before all classes and interfaces declarations.

That is because there is little to no reason to use it in c++. Literally its only purpose is to expose native c++ functions that already exist to BP.

Not only can all of it be done far cleaner in c++ only (like the FVariantData BP hack), but also you shouldn’t be using the Async blueprint nodes for c++ either.

You would be far better off following a good c++ sessions tutorial instead and/or ripping examples out.

I would go as far as to say that you are doing yourself a disservice trying to use the plugin in c++.

Hey guys I’ve been having a lot of trouble implementing the latest version of the Advanced Sessions Plugin to my game. I haven’t really found any solution so I thought coming here would hopefully help. :slight_smile:

Basically when I try to package my game I get this error: :frowning:

When I remove the plugin the game packages just fine, but adding the plugin results in the error

Thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote=“, post:1874, topic:30020”]

I would go as far as to say that you are doing yourself a disservice trying to use the plugin in c++.

Ah, I hadn’t considered things under that angle. I was using a bit of the BP side of your plugin, then I started using it in C++ as well without thinking much about it. It felt logical to keep things uniform.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake! I will, ironically enough, follow your advice and make sure that I’m NOT using your plugin, in C++ :smiley:

[quote=“Krakatoa-, post:1875, topic:30020”]

Basically when I try to package my game I get this error: :frowning:

I get exactly the same error as Krakatoa when I package the game … :-/

I updated to UE 4.20.1 yesterday. The game packaged without any errors in 4.19.1…

I installed the plugin at Engine Level –> copied the “Advanced Sessions” and “AdvancedSteamSessions” folders from the ZIP into “C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins”.

This is the error message I get:

PackagingResults: Error: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Ein Teil des Pfades “C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins\AdvancedSessions\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4\Development\AdvancedSessions\AdvancedSessions.precompiled” konnte nicht gefunden werden.

(sorry for german…) It says it cant find “AdvancedSessions.precompiled” … I guess…

Heeeeeelp please! :slight_smile:

The Package Error is easy to reproduce:

With the plugin installed in “C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins\AdvancedSessions”

1. Create an empty project using the First Person Template with “no starter content”, name it “TestProject”
  2. Open “Edit –> Plugins” from the menu, activate both plugins (AdvancedSession and AdvancedSteamSession), restart Engine
  3. Open “File –> Package Project –> Windows –> Windows (64 bit)” and package “TestProject”

After a short time you should get the error Krakatoa and me mentioned before.

"ATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ERROR: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: … "

Btw… many many thanks for all your effort and time you put into this great plugin, . I think it should be part of the Engine itself… that would make it a lot more easier for Blueprint Guys like me to use Steam out of the box!

[quote=“, post:1878, topic:30020”]

The Package Error is easy to reproduce:

With the plugin installed in “C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins\AdvancedSessions”

1. Create an empty project using the First Person Template with “no starter content”, name it “TestProject”
  2. Open “Edit –> Plugins” from the menu, activate both plugins (AdvancedSession and AdvancedSteamSession), restart Engine
  3. Open “File –> Package Project –> Windows –> Windows (64 bit)” and package “TestProject”

After a short time you should get the error Krakatoa and me mentioned before.

"ATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ERROR: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: … "

Btw… many many thanks for all your effort and time you put into this great plugin, . I think it should be part of the Engine itself… that would make it a lot more easier for Blueprint Guys like me to use Steam out of the box!

Same thing is happening to me, 4.20.1 does not want to work with Advanced Sessions.
I wish Epic would just have native Steam support…

[quote=“No_Circuit, post:1879, topic:30020”]

Same thing is happening to me, 4.20.1 does not want to work with Advanced Sessions.
I wish Epic would just have native Steam support…

Did you all install in the engine plugins directory?

It actually looks like filepath string is too long, and there isn’t much I can do about that besides rename folders…

I have packaged dozens of times in 4.20 but always with it in the project level plugins.

Edit Epic did make a bunch of changes to file path searching with the 2017 visual studio upgrade that required multiple include string changes and me to modify the build.cs as well, this may just be another bug related to that (multiple were fixed already in previews).

[quote=“, post:1880, topic:30020”]

It actually looks like filepath string is too long, and there isn’t much I can do about that besides rename folders…

I have packaged dozens of times in 4.20 but always with it in the project level plugins.

Edit Epic did make a bunch of changes to file path searching with the 2017 visual studio upgrade that required multiple include string changes and me to modify the build.cs as well, this may just be another bug related to that (multiple were fixed already in previews).

Do you know how would we go about fixing the problem? :slight_smile: Thanks!

[quote=“Krakatoa-, post:1881, topic:30020”]

Do you know how would we go about fixing the problem? :slight_smile: Thanks!

Move the plugin to the project. I could not complete a build with it at the engine level. The compiler was unable to find UObjectIterator.h for an include in one of the files. I do have long file name support turned on in windows 10 (if relevant). Moving the plugin from the engine to the project solved all issues.

Yes, I copied the plugin files into the Engine Directory (“C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins\AdvancedSessions”)

That worked perfect in 4.18 and 4.19.

[QUOTE]

How do you install the plugin on project level?

I followed the discription you posted in this threads first post:

Setup Info

1. Extract the file inside the zip to ProjectFolder/Plugins/AdvancedSessions (create /Plugins/AdvancedSessions if you have to) Or UnrealEngine/4.15/Engine/Plugins.
  2. If installed at the project level you need to Create a C++ blank file in the editor to allow it to package out the plugin - If installed at the engine level you do not need to do anything else.

To be honest I didnt fully understood the “If installed at the project level you need to Create a C++ blank file in the editor to allow it to package out the plugin”-part, im not really a coder … My project is 100% made of fancy blueprints… :slight_smile:

If I create a “Plugins” folder in my projects directory and copy all the plugin files from the zip into it, I can’t find the plugin in the Plugins Browser … Its only appears in the list when I install it on Engine Level. o.O

[QUOTE]

If that really helps!! :smiley:

Excellent plugin. Thank you. I had just started writing my own interface to expose a few things and found this. Works well and does exactly what I needed. You have saved me a great deal of work.

[quote=“Bellazul, post:1882, topic:30020”]

Move the plugin to the project. I could not complete a build with it at the engine level. The compiler was unable to find UObjectIterator.h for an include in one of the files. I do have long file name support turned on in windows 10 (if relevant). Moving the plugin from the engine to the project solved all issues.

Thanks for that note about UObjectIterator, I had fixed all of the ones it had complained about but there were a few left.

Like I mentioned previously, they changed how include paths are resolved and its off and on screwing with things.

I’ll upload a version with all UObjectIterators having a full include path.

That may not be what the others are running into, but their compilation may be failing and then they never see the error and just see the precompiled missing message.

Edit Uploaded a newer version with the uobjectiterator.h file path fixed wherever it was in use.

[quote=“, post:1885, topic:30020”]

Thanks for that note about UObjectIterator, I had fixed all of the ones it had complained about but there were a few left.

Like I mentioned previously, they changed how include paths are resolved and its off and on screwing with things.

I’ll upload a version with all UObjectIterators having a full include path.

That may not be what the others are running into, but their compilation may be failing and then they never see the error and just see the precompiled missing message.

Edit Uploaded a newer version with the uobjectiterator.h file path fixed wherever it was in use.

Hmm… I downloaded the new version and it still seems to show the same error: :frowning:

The error seems to say something about “System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException” for the filepath “C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins\AdvancedSessions\AdvancedSessions\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4\Development\AdvancedSessions\AdvancedSessions.precompiled”.

I have it downloaded on the engine level rather than the project itself. Also the new download is still the 4.20.1 link, correct? :slight_smile:

Wooohooo it finally worked!!

After copying the plugin files in both directories (engine **AND **project folder), I was able to package the game without the nasty error! :slight_smile:

I’m not 100% sure what I did tho… By copying the pluginfiles to the project folder ALONE I wasnt able to actually acitvate the plugin in the Plugin Browser…

Anyway… it works now! :slight_smile:

Thanks a ton for the new file!