Advanced Sessions Plugin

Yeah I’m also having issues joining a session. Using 2 machines, 2 separate steam accounts, i host the game on one machine using Create Advanced Session then Open Level nodes, all goes fine according to the log.

On the second pc i try to join the session, the log says I’ve joined successfully but it never changes map and the log prints out the wrong map name the session should be playing on. Any ideas?

1 Like

[QUOTE=GotSomePills;511334]
Yeah I’m also having issues joining a session. Using 2 machines, 2 separate steam accounts, i host the game on one machine using Create Advanced Session then Open Level nodes, all goes fine according to the log.

The “listen” in Open Level is required

1 Like

I have a problem with 4.11.1. I used the plugin for 4.11, it works great in unreal editor, I can find session, join with no problems, however when I try to package my game, I get this error:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: c1xx: fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: ‘L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\Plugins\AdvancedSessions\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4\Development\AdvancedSessions\Module.AdvancedSessions.cpp’: No such file or directory

I checked the folder and there is only 1 find in there: AdvancedSessions.generated.cpp.obj

Any ideas? I have already compiled the project in Visual Studio with no problems.

1 Like

[QUOTE=;511399]
The “listen” in Open Level is required

yeah my bad i was using -listen for some reason.

1 Like

[QUOTE=DjSt3rios;511793]
I have a problem with 4.11.1. I used the plugin for 4.11, it works great in unreal editor, I can find session, join with no problems, however when I try to package my game, I get this error:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: c1xx: fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: ‘L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\Plugins\AdvancedSessions\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4\Development\AdvancedSessions\Module.AdvancedSessions.cpp’: No such file or directory

I checked the folder and there is only 1 find in there: AdvancedSessions.generated.cpp.obj

Any ideas? I have already compiled the project in Visual Studio with no problems.

Are you trying to build it running through visual studios? (or any other debugger) if so, i’ve always had issues with 4.11/4.11.1 building that way, I have to launch it from the .uproject and make sure my compiler is closed for it to build or I get access errors.

EDIT: How many drives do you have to hit the L letter? :')

1 Like

Any idea how to stop it saying the ping is 9999 when looking for sessions?

1 Like

[QUOTE=GotSomePills;511847]
Are you trying to build it running through visual studios? (or any other debugger) if so, i’ve always had issues with 4.11/4.11.1 building that way, I have to launch it from the .uproject and make sure my compiler is closed for it to build or I get access errors.

EDIT: How many drives do you have to hit the L letter? :')

I built it in visual studio and it builds fine. Then I closed visual studio and tried to package it. Also, I got 7 drives :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

[QUOTE=DjSt3rios;511793]

Check to see if there are any other errors above it, that file is supposed to be generated during build.

Also you can delete your intermediate folder and recompile, sometimes with UE4 there are access errors with files that don’t get closed out entirely (although in that case it is missing so possibly corrupt build log?) and compiling never finishes on sections. I’ve had it happen with a bunch of the generated files from time to time and Module.AdvancedSessions.cpp is a generated file, not part of the plugin code itself.

Also I compile all of my projects straight from the IDE itself and never from the editor as plugins don’t currently hot reload. You shouldn’t HAVE to use the editor to recompile the plugin, if you do then something is wrong. I also package to shipping while still running through the IDE as well, besides using more memory and being slightly slower it shouldn’t effect it.

[QUOTE=GotSomePills;511880]
Any idea how to stop it saying the ping is 9999 when looking for sessions?

Unresolved bug with the steam subsystem, nothing I can do about it (well, nothing I SHOULD do about it).

1 Like

[QUOTE=;511944]
Check to see if there are any other errors above it, that file is supposed to be generated during build.

Also you can delete your intermediate folder and recompile, sometimes with UE4 there are access errors with files that don’t get closed out entirely (although in that case it is missing so possibly corrupt build log?) and compiling never finishes on sections. I’ve had it happen with a bunch of the generated files from time to time and Module.AdvancedSessions.cpp is a generated file, not part of the plugin code itself.

Also I compile all of my projects straight from the IDE itself and never from the editor as plugins don’t currently hot reload. You shouldn’t HAVE to use the editor to recompile the plugin, if you do then something is wrong. I also package to shipping while still running through the IDE as well, besides using more memory and being slightly slower it shouldn’t effect it.

I just compiled it from visual studio and then opened unreal editor and clicked package for windows 64 bit. Here’s the entire output log:

[QUOTE]
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Running AutomationTool…
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: 2016-04-13T14:18:29.7629802Z: Running on WindowsHostPlatform as a 64-bit process.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Automation.ParseCommandLine: Parsing command line: -ScriptsForProject=L:/Unreal Projects/TestScene 4.11/TestScene.uproject BuildCookRun -nocompile -nocompileeditor -installed -nop4 -project=L:/Unreal Projects/TestScene 4.11/TestScene.uproject -cook -stage
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): -archive -archivedirectory=C:/Users/DjSt3rios/Desktop/NetworkingTest -package -clientconfig=Development -ue4exe=UE4Editor-Cmd.exe -prereqs -nodebuginfo -targetplatform=Win64 -build -CrashReporter -utf8output
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Automation.Process: Setting up command environment.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Automation.Process: Compiling scripts.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): BuildCookRun.SetupParams: Setting up ProjectParams for L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\TestScene.uproject
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Project.Build: ********** BUILD COMMAND STARTED **********
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.11\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe TestScene Win64 Development -Project=“L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\TestScene.uproject” “L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\TestScene.uproject” -remoteini=“L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11” -noxge -generatem
anifest -NoHotReloadFromIDE
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 0.9498232s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=0
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.11\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe TestScene Win64 Development -Project=“L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\TestScene.uproject” “L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\TestScene.uproject” -remoteini=“L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11” -noxge -NoHotRelo
adFromIDE -ignorejunk
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Performing 3 actions (12 in parallel)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Module.AdvancedSessions.cpp
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\Binaries\Win64\TestScene.exe
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Total build time: 3.20 seconds
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 3.3326793s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=5
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception: AutomationTool.AutomationException: Command failed (Result:5): C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.11\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe TestScene Win64 Development -Project=“L:\Unreal Projec
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ts\TestScene 4.11\TestScene.uproject” “L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\TestScene.uproject” -remoteini=“L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11” -noxge -NoHotReloadFromIDE -ignorejunk. See logfile for details: ‘UnrealBuildTool-2016.04.13-17.18.31.txt’
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog(String App, String CommandLine, String Logfile, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, String Input, ERunOptions Options, Dictionary2 EnvVars) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunUBT(CommandEnvironment Env, String UBTExecutable, String CommandLine, String LogName, Dictionary2 EnvVars)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.UE4Build.BuildWithUBT(String TargetName, UnrealTargetPlatform TargetPlatform, String Config, FileReference UprojectPath, Boolean ForceMonolithic, Boolean ForceNonUnity, Boolean ForceDebugInfo, Boolean ForceFlushMac, Boolean DisableXGE, String InAddArgs, Boolean ForceUnity, Dictionary2 EnvV ars) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.UE4Build.Build(BuildAgenda Agenda, Nullable1 InDeleteBuildProducts, Boolean InUpdateVersionFiles, Boolean InForceNoXGE, Boolean InUseParallelExecutor, Boolean InForceNonUnity, Boolean InForceUnity, Boolean InShowProgress, Dictionary2 PlatformEnvVars) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at Project.Build(BuildCommand Command, ProjectParams Params, Int32 WorkingCL, ProjectBuildTargets TargetMask) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.BuildCommand.Execute() MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary1 Commands) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] CommandLine) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(Func2 Main, Object Param)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.Program.Main()
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=5 (5)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Domain_ProcessExit
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): copying UAT log files…
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults:Error: Error Unknown Error

1 Like

Please wrap code tags around those so they collapse.

Also you have: “MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: c1xx: fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene”

In your log, that is what is actually ending the compilation, it doesn’t have to do with the plugin, the reason it can’t compile the plugin for shipping is because it can’t find the project folder at all.

Something about your file system or drive structure is borked, you should take it to answerhub.

1 Like

Hmmm, after I added the “AdvancedSessions” folder in the Plugins folder, I generated visual studio project and I rebuilt the solution, maybe I need to build the plugin somehow separately?

EDIT: It says “MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: c1xx: fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: ‘L:\Unreal Projects\TestScene 4.11\Plugins\AdvancedSessions\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4\Development\AdvancedSessions\Module.AdvancedSessions.cpp’: No such file or directory”

1 Like

Open the IDE and under build select “Clean Project” and then rebuild everything.

Post the output log from visual studio, if it can’t build the plugin any errors would show up in that.

Edit Ran a packing in the background during lunch with no issues with the plugin installed just in case. I have it in all of my projects and package them all the time but wanted to make sure.

1 Like

It worked. Rebuilt everything and it cooked alright. However, now my games fails to host. I can host in Editor but not in the cooked version. In the plugins versions there is only the .uplugin file, and in the config I have this:

[/Script/Engine.GameEngine]
+NetDriverDefinitions=(DefName="GameNetDriver",DriverClassName="OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver",DriverClassNameFallback="OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver")

[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=Steam

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=true
SteamDevAppId=480

[/Script/OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver]
NetConnectionClassName="OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetConnection"

Am I doing something wrong?
I thought it might be related to steam but even if I use

DefaultPlatformService=null

it still fails to host.

1 Like

[QUOTE=DjSt3rios;512081]
It worked. Rebuilt everything and it cooked alright. However, now my games fails to host. I can host in Editor but not in the cooked version. In the plugins versions there is only the .uplugin file, and in the config I have this:

+NetDriverDefinitions=(DefName="GameNetDriver",DriverClassName="OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver",DriverClassNameFallback="OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver")

[OnlineSubsystem]

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=true
SteamDevAppId=480

[/Script/OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver]
NetConnectionClassName="OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetConnection"

Am I doing something wrong?
I thought it might be related to steam but even if I use

DefaultPlatformService=null

it still fails to host.

Sometimes the steam binaries don’t copy over, you’ll want to make sure they are in the packaged folder also it packages around what is defined when it is built I believe. Make sure that the steam overlay actually shows in your packaged project when it launches.

I make sure I have fallbacks by using the following in mine:

[QUOTE]
[Voice]
bEnabled=true

+NetDriverDefinitions=(DefName=“GameNetDriver2”,DriverClassName=“OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver”,DriverClassNameFallback=“OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver”)
+NetDriverDefinitions=(DefName=“GameNetDriver”,DriverClassName=“OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver”,DriverClassNameFallback=“OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver”)

[OnlineSubsystem]
bHasVoiceEnabled=true

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=true
SteamDevAppId=480

1 Like

Thanks but I already did, no luck :frowning:

1 Like

[QUOTE=DjSt3rios;512098]
Thanks but I already did, no luck :frowning:

You missed this step:

[QUOTE]
PublicDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string] { “Core”, “CoreUObject”, “Engine”, “InputCore”, “OnlineSubsystem”, “CoreUObject”, “OnlineSubsystemUtils”, “Networking”, “Sockets”, “OnlineSubsystemSteam”, “OnlineSubsystemNull” });

PrivateDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string] { "OnlineSubsystem", "Sockets", "Networking", "OnlineSubsystemSteam", "OnlineSubsystemNull" });

Make sure that your projects build.cs has the subsystem steam modules included in it. This is only required when making a non blueprint only project. Otherwise it won’t load them on packaged builds, your project should also have AdvancedSessions there as well by the way.

1 Like

just wondering, would this allow for steam game profile storing? say you allow a steam user to create a character will this allow it to be stored using steam?

1 Like

[QUOTE=frostyshield;512147]
just wondering, would this allow for steam game profile storing? say you allow a steam user to create a character will this allow it to be stored using steam?

Currently no, I haven’t added any cloud storage compatibility to it, mostly because it would have to have some sort of blueprint accessible file writing to be done correctly and I wouldn’t want to package something like that into my plugin and Epic doesn’t have a built in equivalent.

Honestly cloud storage should probably remain in c++ for now to remain efficient anyway. I could set a function that writes an object to file with serialization to store on the cloud but it would be kind of limited.

If someone had a valid framework they could think up for doing it cleanly I would consider it, but off the top of my head I don’t really see a nice way of supporting the feature.

1 Like

All I really need is for some way to grab that online cloud data from your steam ID and then once you in-game load the usual junk and once your in a mission write to the cloud with the stats you got from completing said mission, not much really but im not exactly skilled in C++ to be able to code it all into my game without some hand holding xD

1 Like

[QUOTE=frostyshield;512215]
All I really need is for some way to grab that online cloud data from your steam ID and then once you in-game load the usual junk and once your in a mission write to the cloud with the stats you got from completing said mission, not much really but im not exactly skilled in C++ to be able to code it all into my game without some hand holding xD

Yeah…it’s actually not that simple to make a blueprint interface for that though. It would have to be a complete file writing system in blueprint to fully support what people would want from it.

1 Like