Advanced Sessions Plugin

Sense some are working off source build, got a quick question sorry its off topic but was questioning, sense epic games launcher detects the source build as “other” if I import vault assets into the project will it work?

Yeah you can copy from your vault. Keep in mind UE5 is heavily under development - there are missing features and strange issues. I’ve been using UE5 for animation/map design for the last few months, it’s mostly been pretty solid.

What part of steam? I still find sessions in the current 4.27, however I don’t have steam authentication enabled on my test bed since I haven’t assigned a custom app id.

You can find them but you can’t join them in builds Using the Steam App ID 480.

I can?

I’m updated my Project (Game has its own Steam AppID and is about to release) to 4.27.1 (Source Build) and now the Game works with

[PacketHandlerComponents]
+Components=OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamAuthComponentModuleInterface

The Steam server Browser is showing everything correclty and i’m able to connect to the server.

This is how I start the session

this is how I update the session if a players joins or leaves:
session update
is this even required?

What I should mention:
I updated all the dll files I had to grab from steam and placed next to the server *.exe file

• steam_api64.dll ← from sdk
  • steamclient64.dll ← from my local steam client
  • tier0_s64.dll ← from my local steam client
  • vstdlib_s64.dll ← from my local steam client

Currently I encounter an other problem which seams not related to this:
(not related, because I have theses issues as well with an other game I play)

If have to restart the server a few times to get the session registered at steam. Sometimes I even have to retry to connect to server, up to 10 times. I don’t know whats causing this, It seams that the connection is not conceting to the server. Like something is blocked on the way.

Dedicated servers I’d set “Allow Join Via Presence” false.
“is this even required?” That last screenshot is used to update server settings, it’s not required to start a server.
UnrealEngine updated the SteamSDK which broke logic, other people have connection issues. I personally just run the dedicated server via a .bat script with a client that automatically connects:

:: Setup
set PathToEngine=D:\Program\UnrealEngine\UE_5.0EA
set PathToProject=E:\BioCrossing-5
set ProjectName=BioCrossing
set Level=Lobby
:: End Setup

start "" %PathToEngine%\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Cmd.exe "%PathToProject%/%ProjectName%.uproject" %Level% -server -log -nosteam

start "" %PathToEngine%\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Cmd.exe "%PathToProject%/%ProjectName%.uproject" -game 127.0.0.1 -ResX=1920 -ResY=1080 -WinX=0 -WinY=20 -log -nosteam

I disabled the “Allow Join Via Presence” option in my setup.

I was able to join at the very first attempt, also 3 times in a row.

Tested via Dedicated Remote Root server in a Data-Center to my Local machine.

Hi, I’m a newbie and I was about to start a tutorial to get the steam data but when I try to start in Unreal 4.27 I get the error of “Data force_steam could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source” in 4.26 if it works but I would rather do all in 4.27 directly

Okay, still the same problem with the connection, I have to try it up to 10 times to get a working connction over the internet.

A conncetion attempt looks like this in the servers logfile:

[2021.10.19-15.53.21:634][839]LogOnline: STEAM: Adding P2P connection information with user myID (Name: UNKNOWN [0x1100001017C5C9F])
[2021.10.19-15.53.36:677][722]LogOnline: STEAM: Removing P2P Session Id: UNKNOWN [0x1100001017C5C9F], Channel: -1, IdleTime: 15.042
[2021.10.19-15.53.38:177][810]LogOnline: STEAM: Closing all communications with user myID 
[2021.10.19-15.53.38:179][810]LogOnline: STEAM: myID has been removed.

If have to try to connect serveral times, the it works like in 1 out of 10 cases.
This issue started the last weekend.

Edit:
I don’t know if this is caused by the current release status, does someone know more about this?

[2021.10.19-16.28.01:306][877]LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: AUTH HANDLER: User has not sent ticket and requesting results.
[2021.10.19-16.28.01:307][877]LogNet: Warning: PacketHander isn't fully initialized and also didn't fully consume a packet! This will cause the connection to try to send a packet before the initial packet sequence has been established. Ignoring. Connection: .....

Edit 2:
I gave it a quick test, with the engine version 4.26.2 the auth handler seams to be working.

Glad to hear it helped.

Regarding “Create Advanced Session” is there a possibility that an additional warning/debug error could be added.
There really should at least be some warning messages due to the SteamSDK 151 update that requires the correct options. Such as ‘Use Presence’ should be enabled by default.
For dedicated servers, it should warn if either ‘use presence’ or ‘allow join via presence’ are enabled as it causes connection issues. Would help users.

PacketHander isn’t fully initialized and also didn’t fully consume a packet! This will cause the connection to try to send a packet before the initial packet sequence has been established. Ignoring. Connection: …
You need to launch a standalone version of UE to authenticate with Steam.
Feel free to contact me if you need help - one@onevoltten.one

The presence option is global to all subsystems, and while I could add a warning that warning wouldn’t be valid for say EGS which it likely works with.

It should be fixed engine side in the steam subsystem. In the end this is all down to a buggy port on epics end really…

Though I will note that presence is pretty much non-existant in a dedicated server context on steam, it should have never done anything to begin with.

It was on a Shipping build and has gone through the whole steam pipeline.

It was compiled using the “Shipping” Setup for the client and server, then uploaded to steam (both, client and server).

The server was running on a remote server in a data-center, the client was then launched with the steam client, just like any other game.

Currently the error is gone, I have nothing changed, the only thing was a clean build of the project (took some time).

I deleted all cache-files before the rebuild.

UE5 branch changed a line in SteamRequestGroupOfficersCallbackProxy.cpp from
#include "UObject/CoreOnline.h"
to
#include "Online/CoreOnline.h"

With this change, when trying to build the plugin VS will throw an error because it can’t find the dependency. Changing this single line back makes everything build without errors but I’m guessing this change had a reasoning. Can someone help me understand the change?

No, was a bad merge, i’ll back that out, the header change is the for main branch of ue5, not the EA version.

[quote=“Sidshekar, post:3000, topic:30020”]
SessionSettings.bAllowJoinInProgress = true

Just wondering which file you need to set this in?

Hello, I’m not sure this is the right place to ask, but I’m having an issue to which I have not found an answer. So I’m hoping someone here may point me in the right direction.

TL;DR - Creating session works, host travel to new level works, finding session works, joining session seemingly works, but the client never travels to the level opened by the host.

I’ve made sure the options of the open level node were correct. Tried both “listen” and “?listen”. I’ve reinstalled Unreal, I’ve removed and re-added the plugins. Nothing seems to be solving this problem.

I’m currently on 4.26.2. Any advice is welcome, thank you!

EDIT: Further research suggested Avast might be the culprit… and it was! I should have thought about checking without the firewall earlier. Welp, thanks everyone, hope my little adventure can help someone else! :grinning:

1 Like

Any chance support for Steam Deck (Show/Hide keyboard) could be supported?