Advanced Sessions Plugin

Hello thank you for the awesome pluggins I’m super new to multiplayer I have set up your pluggin with the help of this tutorial series - YouTube In the tutorial we set up a basic game instance, but then I wanted to give a try to using VOIP so I change that game instance parent to be the Advanced friends game instance when I package the game it packages succesfully but when I try to run it this is what I get https://i.gyazo.com/c328ec556aca0c30…1e88c4e0fd.png

FIXED: I totally forgot about creating an empty C++ class once I did it was working :slight_smile:

[quote=“, post:2214, topic:30020”]

Honestly? no… I would have to be able to reproduce it and debug it, and even then it wouldn’t be on the node side of things.

Ok thank you.

is there any way of having all the steam regions unblocked, as of now the systems I use where always tied to the steam download region so if I have a friend on the UK and I’m playing with a Spanish download region there’s no way for us to find us on the server browser

[quote=“Elfideo, post:2217, topic:30020”]

is there any way of having all the steam regions unblocked, as of now the systems I use where always tied to the steam download region so if I have a friend on the UK and I’m playing with a Spanish download region there’s no way for us to find us on the server browser

You are using the default 480 App ID which is region locked, you either need to get your own app ID, or move to his download region temporarily while testing.

Hi guys please can some explain to me where I have problem ? GameInstance parent is AdvancedFriendsGameInstance but when i try send session invite to friend Im still getting On failure exec.

Hey. Thanks for the great plugin. I have one question. I’m trying to connect one lobby to another. In my game, players first gather in the same lobby, and then connect to the game lobby. But the bottom line is that the session result works only for the controller that caused it.

Is there implemented way to modify the ExtraSettings of the Session that is already exist on server?

[quote=“Dexied, post:2219, topic:30020”]

Hey. Thanks for the great plugin. I have one question. I’m trying to connect one lobby to another. In my game, players first gather in the same lobby, and then connect to the game lobby. But the bottom line is that the session result works only for the controller that caused it.

You’ll want to use online beacons for that as it will keep them together during server migration. You can totally do it manually by sending the info to each player, but online beacons were intended for this exact thing.

[quote=“Two-faced, post:2220, topic:30020”]

Is there implemented way to modify the ExtraSettings of the Session that is already exist on server?

UpdateSession node

[quote=“, post:2222, topic:30020”]

UpdateSession node

Perfect! Very convenient. But hot reload crush is not :smiley:

[quote=“, post:2221, topic:30020”]

You’ll want to use online beacons for that as it will keep them together during server migration. You can totally do it manually by sending the info to each player, but online beacons were intended for this exact thing.

I found a way to connect.

To connect one lobby to another, I do the following.

1. The lobby leader clicks to find a match. Through the Find Session Advanced. Then the lobby leader receives a Steam Id of the session host player through the properties.

2. The lobby leader performs in the console: open steam.PlayerSteamID:7777 for all their players

3. The lobby leader connects to the session.

Hey guys,

I have been looking at upgrading the plugin on my project to 4.22

Stages I have done

1: removed old plugin files from source control
2: added new plugin files
3: rebuilt project from source - successful

4: I attempted to make a “blank C++” file, I first tried a blank advance sessions C++ but it failed and would crash the editor load at 70%
5: reverted to the previous versions
6: did all again but created blank C++ file called myclass
7: moved the example sessions to check the Bp’s

my main issues i can’t figure out is why this node is red and i can’t access it from anywhere

Hey all, had a question!

I’m doing dedicated servers. In 4.19 was using Create Advanced Session, it all was working great, saw the dedicated server on the Steam master list, etc.

I’m in 4.22 now (taking advantage of the new rendering stuff) but oddly my dedicated servers are having trouble with Create Advanced Session.
On Success or On Failure will never fire, it just fires the top async one. No error messages, no nothing, just hangs forever. Did 4.22 change something here?

I can host and join listen servers fine in 4.22 same as in 4.19…

So I was following this tutorial on using advanced sessions to set up a lobby, and I’m wondering if the name of something has changed. I’m using the VR Expansion plugin, which includes an advanced sessions plugin.

Part of making the multiplayer lobby involves using the node “Has online subsystem” with the variable “STEAM”. In a packaged version (development build) Steam is connecting. I can see my steam user name, and my steam avatar, but this node is returning “false”. Is the variable still STEAM or is there something else maybe going on here?

Edit: I solved this. I had moved my game instance and there is a bug where if you move the game instance file it sometimes doesn’t automatically update the defaultengine.ini file. I opened that up and found out that it was pointing to the old directory location for that. So I’ve updated that and gotten that stuff working now.

Also is there a working mirror for this? http://metahusk.com/cardinal-menu/ I’ve tried to download the project files 3 times and it ends up failing around 400 MB each time.

Also tried xdm download manager, but it failed and said the server didn’t support resuming.

[quote=“anonymous_user_81b4ffd2, post:2241, topic:30020”]

Hey guys,

my main issues i can’t figure out is why this node is red and i can’t access it from anywhere

Just make a new cast node, that isn’t anything special its a default engine cast

[quote=“mellowsoft, post:2242, topic:30020”]

Hey all, had a question!

I’m doing dedicated servers. In 4.19 was using Create Advanced Session, it all was working great, saw the dedicated server on the Steam master list, etc.

I’m in 4.22 now (taking advantage of the new rendering stuff) but oddly my dedicated servers are having trouble with Create Advanced Session.
On Success or On Failure will never fire, it just fires the top async one. No error messages, no nothing, just hangs forever. Did 4.22 change something here?

I can host and join listen servers fine in 4.22 same as in 4.19…

4.22 has new dedicated server setup to not require re-compiling the engine anymore, I have the patch notes linked in the OP post but here they are as well.

[QUOTE]

• New: Projects targeting Steam releases no longer require source code edits to properly register their dedicated servers on Steam. This change also enables setting the application ID for shipping projects without further modifications to source as well. The following macros have been added and should be defined in the project’s Target.cs file:

• For projects that use dedicated servers, these must be defined for your servers:

• UE4_PROJECT_STEAMPRODUCTNAME

• UE4_PROJECT_STEAMGAMEDESC

• UE4_PROJECT_STEAMGAMEDIR

• Clients for dedicated server projects must have the following defined:

• UE4_PROJECT_STEAMGAMEDIR

• All Steam-based projects must have the following defined:

• UE4_PROJECT_STEAMSHIPPINGID

Please refer to the Steam project documentation regarding setting these flags and their appropriate values.

[quote=“, post:2229, topic:30020”]

Just make a new cast node, that isn’t anything special its a default engine cast

Alright, I am running it through the Game instance: I am still getting Failed when attempting to create a game

I have attached the advanced sessions 4.22 listed below but my plugins still say 4.21 (i have added them twice to check)

I am only a student and I had 4.21 running fine. hope you can assist me and thank you for your time

[quote=“, post:2229, topic:30020”]

4.22 has new dedicated server setup to not require re-compiling the engine anymore, I have the patch notes linked in the OP post but here they are as well.

(Oops, might have double posted on my other account, if it shows up disregard!)

Oh, must have missed that. Thank you! I’ve updated our Target.CS with that stuff. For shipping ID we used our AppID, and the rest matches the data in Steamworks Settings -> Application -> Dedicated Servers.

Oddly, the problem still persists. The Create Advanced Sessions node won’t ever fire On Success or On Failed, just hangs forever.
We’re gonna try to debug it in VS soon, just wanted to see if something else jumped out that could be a problem.

Thanks!

Hello!
Does this plugin support a method for seamless travel? I need my project to keep multiple people connected on different level loads ect.
I cannot seem to find any actual info on how to do it with this plugin. But I keep seeing people talking ABOUT IT as though its something that exists.

[quote=“, post:2233, topic:30020”]

Hello!
Does this plugin support a method for seamless travel? I need my project to keep multiple people connected on different level loads ect.
I cannot seem to find any actual info on how to do it with this plugin. But I keep seeing people talking ABOUT IT as though its something that exists.

You just use the engines seamless travel setup, this plugin is only an interface to unexposed back end features for the most part, it isn’t a replacement for the actual session system / networking of the engine.