Adjusting object mass doesn't seem to affect its weight

Still new to UE4 so apologies if this is obvious.

I’m trying to make a UE4 version of a simple physics-based board game, similar to shove ha’penny. The board is round, with a diameter of about 60cm. The counters you flick around are small wooden disks, like in draughts/checkers.

So I modelled it all to scale in Max, and imported the FBXs into UE4. I was working on the assumption that 1 Max unit = 1cm in UE4, and this seemed to work out fine when I looked at the measuring stick in the editor viewport.

The weight of the counters looked fairly realistic but I had all sorts of problems with counters sometimes falling through the board, presumably because the scale was too small, so I remodelled the assets (didn’t just scale them) so they were about 5x bigger. Now the collision works absolutely fine, the counters never fall through the board, BUT they are incredibly floaty due to their scale. When you drop a counter on the board, it gathers momentum like a car being dropped from a skyscraper.

I’ve tried editing the mass scale from 1.0 all the way up to silly numbers like 100000.0 and nothing happens.
I’ve also tried overriding the object’s mass from the original 13.164 to like 40000 and nothing happens.

Even when both of these are edited at the same time, nothing happens.

Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

I’m having a similar issue. I’m trying to simulate a tree falling down and when I increase its mass to 9999999848243207300000000000000.0 it doesn’t make it any heavier. Everything just looks floaty like its under water or on the moon.

What are we missing?

Go to settings, world settings, and under physics, check “override world gravity” and mess around with it until it looks right. I believe default is -980. You probably want something like -3000 or so.

Yeah I ended up having to make pretty much all the numbers insanely large before it did anything. The Mass Scale is up at 500,000,000 and the gravity is -96000. Just seems weird that you can’t get it to work with the default gravity. Seems broken to me.

Thanks guys, will try this!

I think it might have to do with how ue4 has a default measurement scale of centimeters instead of meters.

I need help that does not involve world gravity… If I mess with world gravity my player can’t jump. If I fix that it breaks another thing. Are you serious this is the only bloody method? Even when I increase it I still yeat the box like it is made of cardboard. I even added physical material maxed out and yeat.

Wish I could tell you a better solution but I never got it working myself so I just changed my game to not involve physics objects. It’s clearly something that needs to be better implemented.

issue remains in 2021
this is much more important than all these fancy new features. i can’t believe this hasn’t been addressed yet or at least some sort of “pro-tip” solution given for how to actually achieve the results we all want.

1 Like