AddLocalRotation while UsePawnControlRotation is ON

Hi, I’m trying to make two different camera-styles on my Pawn:

1. It always follows the Actor Forward Vector, which works great, and 2) A free camera-style that moves around the Pawn

However, when using UsePawnControlRotation I’m unable to AddLocalRotation to my SpringArm:

316164-pawncomponents.png

316166-springarmsettings.png

316167-pawnsettings.png

Is there a way to make this work without unchecking any of the 4 Camera Settings of my SpringArm shown in the picture above?

Thank you for your help.

The 4 checkboxes are telling SpringArm to follow the rotation of the Pawn. If you check them, changing rotation of the SpringArm will have no effect.

Question: while in third person view, do you want your pawn to follow the rotation of the camera (like in first person), or not ?

If yes, then you should check Pawn → Use Controller Rotation Yaw. And then you don’t even have to bind the CameraTurn event. (for a third person camera you probably only want to inherit the Yaw, not the others. Unless it’s a space sim)

If not, then your camera will not rotate the pawn. If you want to be able to rotate the camera/arm without rotating the pawn, you need to uncheck “Use Pawn Control Rotation”.

You cannot have a free camera rotation and a camera rotation that follows pawn rotation at the same time.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It is indeed a space sim, I have a FightMode ON where SpringArm follows rotation of Pawn and FightMode OFF, where it is a free camera-style where the pawn shouldn’t move with Camera Rotation.

I need to be able to AddLocalRotation because if I’m navigating around a planet (where the direction vector isn’t 0,0,0) and if I switch between FightModes, all of a sudden yaw becomes roll and so on…

I’m gonna try your solution.