I’ve been using blender 2.8 to animate a mannequin-compatible rig, and I’m now interested in adding a couple of weapon bones, because I need to be able to animate the weapon in some relatively complex ways that I’m not sure how to achieve in UE4 alone. I’ve been using the Auto-Rig plugin for blender (though I hear there are newer blender->UE4 tools, too).
My questions are:
- Can I ‘retrofit’ my existing Mannequin-compatible rig with weapon bones?
- If so, what is the best approach to take?
- Will adding extra bones break the compatibility with Mannequin?
If the answer to Q3 is ‘yes’, that’s not a deal-breaker.
If that sounds like it will be too complicated, I’m happy to look into alternative approaches. The main behaviours I’m trying to achieve are:
- Moving a weapon from one hand to the other (swapping hands), and
- Rotating a weapon 180 degrees in a single hand.
Any suggestions much appreciated!