Adding new landscape partitions to a streamed world

I have a large world that uses level streaming, with a landscape broken up into chunks. Over time, I’d like to release expansion areas to the map, but I’m a little foggy on the best method to do this and I’m looking for help/tips/ideas/advice/thoughts.

It almost seems like the only way to do this is to create the -entire- world map and then break that up into chunks like I did for the initial map, but that would be a pretty insanely sized mesh to go over. I don’t have the funds for the fancy world designer programs, so what I’ve done so far is create the initial area (a very large island) in Unreal, then export the hieghtmap from that, break it up in my image editor, and then create the new streamed levels from those pieces via importing. This has worked really well so far.

But doing it with the entire world map would be absolutely insane.

Another idea was to make each expansion area in the above method and then import them as individual streamed level… areas. For example, area A has a 4x4 streamed landscape grid. 4 pieces to the area. Area B has its own 4x4 landscape grid. Area A and area B each have their own persistent level? But then I’m concerned with a load lag between areas. It also would need to ‘feel’ seamless moving between area A and area B, so I don’t think that’d work.

Anyway as you can see I’m pretty lost on the best practice here and would absolutely appreciate input. Thanks folks.

I don’t know much about it, but I would say, switch to 5

I’m really not comfy with 5 yet, honestly, and moving a project this big and well over a year in the works would probably create a whole ton of bugs, lol.

You can convert a copy and check it out :slight_smile:

I just really don’t like UE5 right now to be honest, so I’m really hoping for a method I can use for 4.26

I can tell you UE5 is GREAT and Lumens and Nanite are worth ANYTHING.
You will speed up your creation process of orders of magnitudes just thanks to these two features.

Open up the world composition, right click on a landscape tile → Add adjacent. This way you can add new landscape tiles to existing terrain. As many as you want.
I am looking for the same feature in UE5, doesn’t seem to exist :confused: