Adding more realism to Jump?

Hi Guys, here’s my problem: when i Press Jump button my 3rd person character “immediately” is in the air without any preparation and actually preparation is done in the air. how can i setup my BP and animations so when i press the Jump button, my character prepares for Jump and after his body is straight again, he goes into the air??

Jumping two meters high without even bending a muscle is extremely unrealistic to me!!!

If you check ThirdPersonJump_Start aniamtion, the character actually bends down before jumping. The problem is that it’s too fast.

305634-1.jpg

So you some choices. For example:

1. set rate scale of that animation to a lower value. This results in an awkward jump animation (slow start and normal speed for the rest); or
  2. create a new jump start animation and use it instead of the ThirdPersonJump_Start .

actually I have tried those and these solutions makes the problem worse. i think they have shorten the length and speed up the animation because there is no pause for any preparation. and yes, i have seen the ThirdPersonJump_Start but it’s so fast that you can’t even see the character bends his knees.

in my idea the jump function in Blueprint is not Animation driven or mesh driven. i have cleared the mesh and again when i push the jump button the “scene” instantly goes Up.

So, is there anyone who have any idea whats going on and how its possible the add a delay between pushing the jump button and characters going into air.

Since you say that a new animation is worse, then how about this:

In the character BP: play the starting animation in the BP, add a delay and then jump:

In the animation BP, change the start position of the start jump animation:

The goal is to play the start of the “jump start” animation and then let the animation BP play the rest. So, the delay time and the start position time must be set in a way that the transition seems seemless.

Now the character has its arms going back and knees bending before jumping. However is fast. But it’s there.

Thanks man. this is what i wanted to do. although it needs a little refinement (if you press space in the air the animation plays in the air) but it made my jump much more convincing.

I’d say add an Anim_Notify in the jump animation itself – that way you can pick the precise moment when the character has to start going up. Then, when you press the jump key, the animation starts, and the Notify itself adds the jump impulse.