AddForce on CharacterMovement is not working when standing still

Hello,

i’m new to unreal engine and i’m trying to make a “wind” push my character constantly in one direction, to do this i simply use the “AddForce” node on the CharacterMovement component of my player character blueprint like this:

Wind Direction is fixed to (1,0,0) for now, and wind force is some big value.

This works well when i’m moving around, but if i manage to make my character stand still and then i stop moving (no inputs) my character isn’t affected by the force anymore…

I tried with add impulse and also by setting the velocity of character movement (like in the second screenshot below), but whatever the method, if i just stand still, my character stops being affected by the force…

Thanks for your help

Did anyone ever answer your question? I have this exact problem and it’s really depressing that all the way back in 2016 until today no one has ever answered this question.

I’m encountering similar problems with CharacterMovement. When the character is not moving, certain functionality seems to not work at all, hit events and collisions don’t fire, etc. I’ve been trying to understand more about it for the last week.

What if you go to, CharacterBP->CharacterMovement->UseSeperateBreakingFriction = true.

I spent like an hour setting breakpoints and digging through the engine’s Character Movement component, and couldn’t determine the issue. At that point I threw in the towel in favor of a “work around”. The work around is: use Launch Character IF you detect no input vector (for that you can use GetLastInputVector).