Add more programming languages

As a developer of Unity3d,I have been longing for the Unreal Engine,but I always use C#,so it is difficult for me to use Unreal engine. Therefore ,whether the Unreal engine can consider adding more languages such as C# to enable more Unity developers to switch to the Unreal engine quickly. In fact , I can learn C++ in order to use the Unreal engine, but I think that other developers like me who want to use the Unreal engine have similar needs. So it is more convient and faster for your company to add more programming languages than for other developers to learn on their own, so that other developers can quickly become Unreal developers.
给UE引擎加个C#吧,求你们了。

If you’re proficient in a C-style programming language, shifting to UE4’s macro-heavy C++ implementation is barely more difficult than coming straight from vanilla C++. It’s the API you will spend the most time learning, not the programming language.

The only real problem you can face is if you do something really dumb the Editor will crash. C# users are not very familiar with that… but the language isn’t that hard, it’s a lot like C# because of helper classes and methods Epic have created.

Yes, you are right, and I will spend the most time in learning the API, but syntax rules will also consume a lot of my time. Engine-company could add a programming languge,which would greatly reduce the time cost for other engineers to switch to UE4. For examle, adding JavaScript would appeal to Cocos Creator developers and adding C# would appeal to me,lol.
Of course, this is only a samll suggestion but also my most sincere request.

Yes, let’s add all the possible languages to the engine because adding every new language it’s a “small suggestion to add” for all the people who are literally too lazy to learn another language while changing the engine.
It’s not like it’s even possible or practical to add most of existing languages to the engine. It’s a bit like expecting citizens of China to speak your native language because you don’t want to learn Chinese or English.

If scripting with C#, JavaScript, Rust, F# or whatever else it’s important to some people, they should stick to the engine that uses it.

And the syntax differences between C# and C++ is, for the lack of a better word, laughable.

I demand Epic adds to Unreal 5, ArnoldC:

We want Ook!

Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook.

That reminds of Brainf**k programming language:

>++++++++-<+++++++++>]<.>>+>-+]++>++>+++>->+++<<+++>]<<]>-----.>-> +++..+++.>-.<<+>+>+]>>]<--------------.>>.+++.------.--------.>+.>+.

Well, just annoyed by the growing amount of requests like “I’m coming from engine X, please make Unreal like engine X” without considering the fact they’re switching to UE4 for some reason (better engine for a given game or 3D games in general?), often abandoning engine they’ve used for years. And now immediately ignoring strengths of this engine, requesting to stitch some engine only because “they know it” without realizing that languages like C# are far from efficient languages for gamedev.

Unity is spending years on C# compiler and entire toolchain. Refactoring engine to ECS/DOTS because games based on C# could finally efficiently manage memory (also CPU cached memory). And this will require to write all Unity’s gameplay systems and tools from the scratch. It is something that slowdowns the development of Unity systems for years. It’s already rumored that Unity ditched almost ready visual scripting since now they want to focus on development of DOTS-based systems.

Imagine Epic spending years on making C# actually useful and performant as C++, because some people don’t want to learn language/API that is already similar to Unity C# :wink:

Using JavaScript for 3D games is so exotic idea, there’s no even point on commenting.

Yeah, it would be nice to get custom scripting language that feels like a natural part of the engine, not the foreign excrescence* that half of the developers would hate.

• a great, weird word :smiley:

Yes, yes it is.

I mean look at it from this angle - there has never been a serious game project in the history of game projects, that has failed because the engine used C++ instead of C# or something like that. UE4 is so much more than its ■■■■ programming language, it will never ever be a deciding factor for anyone. People don’t realize a) just how small of a portion of a game’s production lifecycle the low-level C++ programming really is. In a 3 year production, you usually lock down the code at around a year and a half, only doing careful bug fixes; and b) how much UE4’s API shields you from the true horrors of C++ programming. It’s way more like C# than people realize.