Add child actor component function broken in child bp

This used to work fine in 4.13. Took me forever to figure out what was wrong.

So the base class works fine. I have a function that I feed several relative transforms.It will then spawn a child actor component at that transform, in this case a blocker for the player to collide with.

The problem comes when I make a child of that class. The function, which it is inheriting from its parent class, doesn’t put in the blockers I’ve assigned. It puts in all kinds of random things, I still haven’t found the logic behind some of them.

Here’s the blueprint which sets one of four vehicles

And here’s one possible result. None of those 4 blocker child bp’s (or any other) has a building in it, but it’s spawning a building for no reason.

Right now my only solution is to basically undo all my inherited functions and re-write it per child class, which of course is ridiculous.

looked at this in 4.15.3, it’s still happening

just loaded and ported my project to 4.16, and this issue is still happening

So yeah, just to re-iterate, since I’m getting no response on this, I tried to port my 4.13 project to 4.15 (and now 4.16) and it’s broken. I have a function that called Add Child Actor Component. When I make children of that blueprint, the actors it spawn do not match the ones I am calling in the base class. The result? I now have buildings and rocks spawning in the middle of my street because I guess it thinks they’re trucks now? Anyway, I was hoping t0 upgrade my mobile game to improve its performance with all the upgrades added to unreal since 4.13, but this is a major blocker. I’m stuck until this is resolved.

I would like to help you on this, is it possible to setup a meeting in skype or elsewhere so you can demo this problem live? It might take a while to screenshot all the interesting parts, meeting might be faster. Let me know your skype id if you have it.

sure, be glad for the help. There a way I cam PM my Skype id for your?

We’d have to schedule a time, but the short story is pretty much as I described it. Parent class has a function that spawns one of several child actors. Made a child class from the original parent class, and now the derived function spawns different child actors than the ones the parent class was instructed to spawn. Parent class seems to work fine.

sure, be glad for the help. There a way I cam PM my Skype id for your?

We’d have to schedule a time, but the short story is pretty much as I described it. Parent class has a function that spawns one of several child actors. Made a child class from the original parent class, and now the derived function spawns different child actors than the ones the parent class was instructed to spawn. Parent class seems to work fine.

tried this on 4.16.2. Created a fresh copy from 4.14, the last time it was working properly. Still an issue. I would REALLY love to upgrade my mobile game to try to improve its performance, but I can’t since the newer versions of the engine seriously screws up my game due to this bug. It’s been 2 months with no traction on this issue.

Dibs on this. Unreal team please fix goddam.

Still not fixed!

Thanks for letting us now Unzkilled. I fixed it with unticking “Editable when Inherited” in my parents. Not sure if it is a perfect fix though. But everything is working right now.

It’s not a solution, but it’s is a functional workaround:

Instead of spawning a child actor component you can spawn an actor and use the AActor::AttachToActor method. In BP you can do it using this node:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/BlueprintAPI/Utilities/Transformation/AttachToActor/