Actors boune/Launche other Actors - Issue

Good day. I have an issue, when one Character (player) bump into another character (enemy/NPC), send that other character flying (Sometimes acros whole screen).

Issue only happens sometimes, so its really hard to replicate. Sometimes you have to try really hard to make Enemy character flying.

Both Characters got “Collision Enabled” and set “object type = Pawn” for skeletal mesh and for capsule Component.

I tried on Enemy Character to set Collision response for Pawn to Ignore for Capsule Comp. But issue persist. I know that I can set collision response for pawn to ignore for Capsule and skeletal on player and enemy and they will not bounce each others, but you can now walk just through enemy, and that is not what I was aiming for.

I just wonder, what is a proper setup for characters to ensure:
1.- characters can collide with each other
2.- characters dont launch other characters on random contact

What might be a root of the issue? Some physic engine?
Read somewhere that when 2 objects collide, engine will try to push them gently apart from each others and sometimes this value is exaggerated and launch one object.
But there is plenty of games on UE that dont have this issue and characters can collide.

Character Movement Component → Depenetration

The number of collision hulls involved in the depenetration has an effect of potentially multiplying the depenetration force.

Read the docs description for each value. Important info there.

Thank you for advice. That was interesting reading.
I was tweaking these depenetration values from one extreme to another, and it did something. But not entirely eliminate bouncing.

Nevertheless, thank you.

I was playing furthermore with collision and I managed to solve the issue (or at least issue didn’t show yet):

• every character had setup collision for Capsule Component (Root) and Skeletal Mesh as Pawn Object type and Collision Enabled. And Collision response to Pawn set to Block.
  • So I left Collision Preset for Capsule as it was and changed Collision for Skeletal Mesh → I changed from Collision Enabled to Query Only (Because I still need responses from Trace channels, if you dont need that, set it to No Collison). And/Or set Collision responses for Pawn to Ignore

That solved my Issue, when one character bounce/launch other character, yet still had collision so characters, cannot walk through each other.

I think that problem was with collision for Skeletal mesh (SkM). When this SkM play animation or get into another character collision some other way, engine will try to separate these two characters and sometimes it launch one or another away.
So with my setup only think that collide with another character is only capsule component, which doesn’t change size or animate like SkM, so engine can handle that more easily.

Hope this advice will help others, who encountered same issue.