Actor swinging with physics constraint results in crashes

Hi, I have a game in which a player swings side to side using a physics constraint, that constrains the player and what the grappling hook hits. This works roughly 50% of the time, where the other half of the time unreal will crash, with no log data available. The crashes will occur during and after releasing the swing. The swinging is done via an impulse triggered by game controller input. I am unsure how to fix this issue, so any help would be appreciated.

Hi JuniorMc,

• Does this occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content or is it limited to one project?
  • Do you have “simulate physics” set to true on your character actor?
  • What steps can I take to reproduce this on my end?
  • Can you post your crash logs here? They can be found at \Unreal Projects\PROJECTNAME\saved\logs.
  • Can you show me a screenshot of your blueprint event graph, specifically the method you are using to create/use the physics constraints?

Hi i am sorry but due to reasons i am not able to provide much information. All i can do is describe the process that i am using. Currently the physics constraint is a component of the player, and follows the end of the players grappling hook. On a collision the constraint constrains the player and the object hit, with a linear limit set to the length of the hook. the player can then swing by adding an impulse in either horizontal direction, and then jump upwards and release the hook by releasing the button.

I apologize for not being able to provide more information, and it is ok if you are not able to provide assistance given that.

Hi i am sorry but due to reasons i am not able to provide much information. All i can do is describe the process that i am using. Currently the physics constraint is a component of the player, and follows the end of the players grappling hook. On a collision the constraint constrains the player and the object hit, with a linear limit set to the length of the hook. the player can then swing by adding an impulse in either horizontal direction, and then jump upwards and release the hook by releasing the button.

I apologize for not being able to provide more information, and it is ok if you are not able to provide assistance given that.

duplicate

Can you list the specific steps you are taking that reproduce this error? Additionally the logs will help me to determine what may be occurring.

Hi JuniorMC,

We have not heard from you in several days. I am marking this as answered for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing this error and able to provide the information requested, please post them here and I’ll be happy to take another look.