Actor Sequence VS Timeline

Lets say you had 200 actors in a level. All of them being the same.

Their main function is to spin, which they acomplish by using a Timeline updating the actor local rotation, as seen below.

Now, I was wondering… Instead of using a Timeline, should I use a looping actor sequence that rotates it linearly by 360 degrees in Z?

I checked all over the internet, including the Unreal documentation, and not a single website clarified me about the performance issues.

TL;DR:

Perfomance wise, is it better to have 200 actors using a Timeline, or 200 actors using an Actor Sequence?

3 Likes

I would love to know the answer to this too

1 Like

Somewhat related, but you don’t really need to use timelines at all for rotating object, particularly if you have them looping infinitely. Just use the Rotating Movement component

rotating-movement-component.png

I don’t know if it has any particular performance boost, but it certainly works more elegantly than having to create a timeline.

Me too. I’m looking about simple static mesh animations.

1 Like

I would expect level sequences to be slightly less performant for simple tasks since it is a bit more of a heavy weight object that supports many additional features than interpolating transforms. Timeline is a dedicated tool for interpolating values from a curve and outputting a vector or float so the code for that would be more streamlined to that task. However, if you need the additional capabilities of level sequence it is a very powerful tool.