Actor not rotating correctly / "facing" direction not setup?

Basically, my actor isn’t rotating to face the target correctly. He’s making his left shoulder face the target instead…

I’ve tried everything I can think of for a few hours. It’s frustrating because the exact same setup works perfectly fine in another project. I added a line trace and will include a video so anyone who reads this can get a better idea… 6+ hours on this, and I bet it’s a rookie mistake! I think it may be some “facing” direction that I don’t know about, but I haven’t been able to figure it out.

Any suggestions would be amazing. Thanks

Video: 20150214 - YouTube

EDIT: I changed the mesh to HeroTPP instead of TutorialTPP, same issue. However, when I added the HeroFPP (from first person project), it faces the correct direction. So, there must be a setting that sets what direct they “face”. But I can’t find it…

Have you messed with the skeletal mesh component of your character at all?

I have had a similar issue in the past because I had deleted and re-added a skeletal mesh component to my character, and when it added it, the mesh’s rotation was not aligned with the capsule (root). Basically the capsule faced North, but when the mesh was added it faced East, and that was not immediately obvious in the component view.

Thanks for the reply

I have faced that issue you mentioned before. This doesn’t seem to be it… I have been messing around a lot, in all settings everywhere trying to figure this out.

But before posting this I decided to start completely from scratch, and do it just like before in my other project (where it works fine still).

Right now it’s an actor blueprint with only one component - the TutorialTPP skeletal mesh from the engine files. Perhaps that itself is messed up in some way?

Right now I’m going to try adding one from the StarterContent, see how it goes.

EDIT: Changed mesh to HeroTPP from start content - same thing. Left shoulder faces the target. Rotating the mesh does nothing.

EDIT2: I changed the mesh to HeroTPP instead of TutorialTPP, same issue. However, when I added the HeroFPP (from first person project), it faces the correct direction. So, there must be a setting that sets what direct they “face”. But I can’t find it…

I solved it. It turns out, I need to rotate the capsule, or in this case a box, not the mesh itself.

Rotating the mesh in the components tab does nothing, unless you rotate the box while in-game rather than the mesh.

Another simple lesson learned!

However I’m still confused as to what sets the default “look” direction of a mesh. I still couldn’t find any answers anywhere about this. I have to assume it’s during the mesh creation, or something. But in that case, why would HeroTPP have an incorrect look direction… Hmm…

Anyways, you were right, thanks!