Actor Moving Along Spline - unexplained acceleration on Z axis.

Hi Everyone - I come in an hour in need after spending many many days trying to fix the issue myself.

I am working on a simple grinding system using splines. When the actor locks to the spline they move along it without issue - if the spline is horizontal.

Unfortunately if the spline is rotated up or down the actor suddenly jets off to the sky. This even happens with the actor approaching the rail to grind down - some unknown force drags the actor up the rail.

I have looked for every single node which may be producing the force without luck. Gravity is set to zero, there are no forces being applied during the grind.

I am using a flying character blueprint. Gravity is turned to 0 on lock and during grind (changing gravity does not help) / (adding forces and impulses to counter the movement creates bugs such as building up a huge velocity)

I’ve been working on the code for 2 weeks and have exhausted literally all other avenues. One option is to move the player along the spline using ‘spline distance plus 1’ but I lose the physics I am looking for (gaining speed grinding down etc).

Could anybody give me their two cents on what may be causing the issue - I would be eternally grateful as I’m at the end of me tether with it

NOTE: - Red arrow is velocity direction, White Arrow is Capsule Direction and Yellow is controller Direction

Video of problem:

Locking on blueprint:

Grind Loop:

Could it be this?

1 Like

■■■■, so close - unfortunately not as the character is flying, not walking!

When you hop on the rail, you force the character to follow along, disregarding the character movement comp:

Here, right? I feel you might be making the character movement comp angry. Could you try deactivating it for the duration of the spline ride?

Were I to attempt something along the lines of:

The first thing I’d do, would be to get the char movement comp out of the way as it tries really hard to do its thing, whatever it is in your case - but that does look wonky, indeed.

Thanks! ■■■■ still nothing but I feel there may be something worth exploring in what you’ve just shown me… it feels like it’s something simple but I’ve been two weeks solid on the code, it’s really bugging me.