Actor Component can't access Static Mesh of attached Blueprint

Hi!

Here are the blueprints!

I’ve been trying out using components for specific functions and have come across something that I can’t quite figure out!

I’ve created an Actor Component where it previously took the parent actor and bobbed it up and down and spun it around (like a powerup!). I tried to change this so that it would spin the Static Mesh component instead so that I can move around the actor freely but suddenly UE4 can’t read the property of the Static Mesh variable in my Component Blueprint while it had no problem doing the same for the actor!

I’m a bit stumped and hope any kind soul here can help a beginner out!

Not sure what you mean here. You have a BP with a component which is an actor?

Do you mean a child actor?

Tried casting but I’m still getting Can’t Read Property “Static Mesh” :confused: I have reference to the actual circle in my ActorComponent so it knows that Static Mesh is the circle but it’s like I’m not allowed to access it! And as I said in the post, It ran fine when I referenced the whole Actor instead of an component.

Inside my blueprint I have a Static Mesh Component which I want to access so I can rotate through a separate Actor Component. My actor component needs to access the Static Mesh Component (Circle) but I get an “Can’t read property” error while I got no such error just referencing the entire actor.

Here is my components if that helps!
It’s IconMovement that is my Actor Component

So something like

You notice i had to drag twice to get the mesh?

What I mean is, did that not work for you?

sadly no, I will try more tomorrow and hopefully get it to work!

First drag search for ‘get CircleIconMesh’, second drag search for ‘get static mesh’.

yeah, once to get the object from the blueprint and the second one to save it in the current blueprint

that’s what you asked for…

If you stop at the name ( cube in my example ), that’s the component…

Ok, I see now what you mean but that gives me a static mesh object, not a component. I can’t rotate or change translation with a static mesh object.

This code here returns false which I don’t understand, maybe I just don’t get the whole communication part of components yet but this is how I do it when I communicate from blueprint to blueprint :confused:

That’s what I did in the reply above but it still returns false. Are you able to see the images that I link?