Action rpg

Hi. Were can i download the Action rpg sample for this document from epic? .unrealengine.com/en-us/Resources/SampleGames/ARPG.

Can’t find the download link for it in the doc.

thanks

It’s probably coming with the final 4.20 release. I’ve seen lots of fixes for it on GitHub.

Cool!! Do you have the github link?

I’m afraid that sample games aren’t visible on GitHub :frowning:

Ok thanks;)

This one’s going to be interesting for sure…

This project is not out yet but will be sometime after the initial 4.20 release. I will have more information once it is out so stay tuned for the announcement.

Hmmm, looks like you took the doc’s down, says I do not have access to view that page. Was just curious what it looked like, but I can wait for release.

An ARPG sample project does sound awesome though, cant wait to try it out!! :slight_smile:

Yeah, it was pulled back… While I was reading it :slight_smile:

Hey

Cloud bring back documentation ? It was interesting while, even without access to code :).

I would love to read that documentation too. Even if it’s just work in progress :slight_smile:

You can view the pages from google cache, just add cache: in front of the url in chrome

Hey Everybody,

I took the docs down because they are not done yet. As soon as they are completed I will bring them back online.

Cheers-

Sam Deiter

Still, it wass pretty good WIP. I quickly got how to approach gameplay abilities :slight_smile:

I’d hope you, guys would have time to expand these part of docs on “Blueprint vs C++ workflow”. Such docs would deserve even a few articles and its own section.
Quick examples:

• basic workflow, performance, approach to building a game
  • what’s not possible in Blueprints and what’s takes longer time to write than in C++ (math, algorithms, data crunching)
  • what C++ offers to people/teams that are capable to build entire game/prototype in BP - so why consider C++ from the start?

I got it “all” figured out, but it would be a huge help to new teams.

There are actually documents in the works right now that address all of the above issues that you mentioned. I am also glad to hear that the documents in their current state helped you approach the Gameplay Abilities as this leads me to believe we are on the right track. This is a really hard system to document in a meaningful way as it is really complex with lots of moving parts. Make sure to check back when this is released. We are planning to do a lot more with this sample project than we have done with past sample projects. In the meantime, if you have any other suggestions please let me know so I can make sure it gets noted.

hi. Is there going to be shop/merchant, Quest system, crafting,inventory and so on,since its a rpg template?

Glad to hear it! Action RPG seems to be even more interesting :slight_smile:

Speaking of blueprints, it would be awesome to add Intermediate docs.
Current docs cover basics: how to use editor, what is the function, what’s difference between class and local variable. It helps a lot, but it doesn’t explain how to efficiently “write blueprints” in the actual project. How to design systems in a healthy way.

Examples:

• Using TMap instead of 8 integers (yep, not obvious for non-programmers)
  • Using Gameplay Tags instead of Tags or other crude ways to identify items or objects
  • Using String Data Tables for gameplay texts
  • Using Sequencer to simplify setup. i.e. using it to define how the world should like in the day-night cycle

Usually I’d say “Man, inventory system is easy and inventory setup is different for every game”.
However, adding simple Inventory to this template would show people how to use solutions like Gameplay Tags. “Identify items by the Gameplay Tag and enjoy clean and healthy Inventory code” :slight_smile:

There is an inventory system but no quest, merchant or crafting at the current time. We might put one in the future but that is still not decided at this time.

This is actually how the skills and inventory are currently setup. This sample is going to be full of more intermediate to advanced level topics like that.

That’s awesome! Thank you guys for making this, it sounds like it will be a great learning resource :slight_smile: