Action RPG Inventory System

Thanks for sharing :D, the launcher is cool. Is the login through a database account system?

When you stream to the new map, perhaps it’s refreshing OnBegin play?
You should also rotate the MainHand/OffHand sockets to fit your skeleton/animations so the sword shows the right way :D.

Ok cool, so the issue was with using the fuse skeleton?
Glad you got that resolved, it’s great to see everyone helping out with Unreal issues.

The launcher needs much work. It only has basic functionality atm. The login is through a MySql db running on a Xampp installation. It has hashing for user & pw, but I need it to pass a time limited token or key to UE4 and I still need to prevent concurrent logins (same user), dress up the graphics, & other things.

I had just gotten the AdvSocSys integrated when I made the video. I haven’t worked on making the inventory/player state persistent across server/map changes yet. What I have in mind is having the inventory, player equipment, and etc loaded from a db each time a player zones, but still need to sort out how to get direct access from UE4 to the game. Much work ahead. :slight_smile:

So here another reversion of my inventory probably the best one yet i think.

Very nice! This format seems more stylistically compatible with your game.

Thanks now to work on the format for the stats.

Hey guys, just a question… I did the tutorial about adding an item to the system. Btw, I own some sword models which has only static meshes. In the tutorial it is said that I need to select a static + a skeletal mesh on item list ?

Unless you want to animate them separately, the sword static meshes could be attached to the hand socket(s) and would not require a skeletal mesh version. You generally need a skeletal mesh for wearable items such as armor or clothing, so that the armor or clothing would animate with the character mesh.

True, but if I chose just a static mesh instead of static and skeletal it is invisible on equip. That means the first selection is for the item on ground for example and the skeletal for item equipped.

My apologies. I have not actually made any weapons, so I was perhaps speaking out of turn. Have you watched this tutorial? About 2:30 he goes into the process when you only have a static mesh.

The code is setup to equip the skeletal mesh for view on the player. That’s why it’s called the equipment mesh.
So if you don’t provide an equipment mesh you won’t see the item equipped onto the player.

So that leaves you with two options.

Make a skeletal mesh version of your weapon and everything is all perfect and easy :smiley: (BTW Static mesh rotations are different so that they get placed on the floor nicely for item dropping. So having a static and a skeletal isn’t a bad thing :)).

Change a bunch of code and complicate the system by putting in a bunch of logic/changes to allow either a skeletal mesh or Static mesh to be used for a weapon.
But honestly, you are going to probably spawn your weapon as a Blueprint and attach that anyways when you have a weapon system. So maybe instead of complicating things you will just want to change your Weapon equip logic to spawn the weapon blueprint and equip your weapon blueprint to your hand socket (which can then use the static mesh property of your item if you wish instead of the skeletal)

Got it working. Thank you really much Sir. Also Pirate… thx for your help!!

Awesome :smiley:

Really liking the update still! It makes it so much easier to edit stuff and hook other systems in, great work!

Any news on the equipment slot tutorial though?

I’m working on a Durability system for the inventory its still needs a lot of work and testing but the ground work is there.

EDIT: WIP body temp system cardboard armor isn’t the best to use haha.

http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/49/48661/Body_Temp.png

Same basic item splitting i have added in.

Yes, it appears that way. I’m guessing it has to do with bone location relative to the ground, but don’t have the prerequisite skills to verify that :slight_smile:

Since others are doing it :slight_smile:

Some WIP footage of my game - got a weapon system almost done, just two bugs left (pistol not showing hands and pistol ammo not saving right)

It’s going well so far though

Awesome stuff! I really like the animation change based on what is equipped. I haven’t gotten quite that far yet.

I came across this, and thought I’d share it. It may be helpful to some in regards to importing new armors and such. I may try and see if it fixes my previous boot sync issue.

The Meshes on the Equipment Character are doing that already.
You can see this in the OnRep functions. So everytime you equip a new equipment mesh and it loads it onto the player it sets the master pose component to the character “mesh”.